Scarecrow - Part 2.

Dean had been going from house to house, asking people about the missing couple. 'You sure they didn't stop for gas or something?'

The woman who looked in her fifties shook her head, 'Mm-mm.'

'Nope,' confirmed the woman's husband. 'Don't remember them. You said, they were friends of yours?'

'That's right.'

A girl, probably in her twenties, entered the room, her supporting a few heavy boxes. 'Did the guy have a tattoo?' she asked.

'Yes, he did,' Dean affirmed, as the girl handed the boxes to the woman and checked the flyers in Dean's hands. She took one glance at them, and then turned to the old man, 'You remember? They were just married.'

The old man put a hand to his chin, thinking hard. And then he said, 'You're right. They did stop for gas,' he said a little too quickly, he told Dean, 'weren't here for more than ten minutes.'

'Do you remember anything else?' Dean questioned.

'Told them how to get to the Interstate, they left town.'

'Could you point me in that same direction?'

'Sure,' the man shrugged.

The next thing Dean did, was drive according to the directions the man pointed him in. After a while, his EMF meter started going off. 'What the hell?' he muttered, not stopping the car, but leaning back so that he could reach his duffel bag placed in the backseat. When he couldn't pull it out, Dean pulled up the car for a second.

He completely turned around and brought out his meter, which was going nuts. He glanced at the orchard nearby, and got out of his car. Time for some sightseeing, he thought to himself, walking into the garden where the trees were evenly spaced and planted in an orderly fashion.

On his way, he noticed a small shrine against the tree. He glanced around, until his eyes rested on the scary scarecrow placed in the center of a couple of trees. He walked towards it to get a better look. The scarecrow was attached to two pieces of wood which had been shaped in a "T". The scarecrow was wearing shredded clothes that looked pretty ancient.

'Dude, you fugly,' Dean told the scarecrow, disgusted. His gaze fell on the curved blade gripped in the scarecrow's hand and then the rope that kept the fugly thing in place.

Dean grabbed a ladder kept not too far away and placed it near the scarecrow. He climbed it to get a better look. The face seemed to be stitched together as if it was Frankenstein's much uglier version. It was donning a hat, head permanently looking towards the ground, the dirty and jumbled hair, swaying slightly in the air. Dean gave the scarecrow a look, before he noticed something on its arm.

Dean pulled the torn sleeve away from the bony structure and he found a tattoo on the hand that was holding the blade. It wasn't just any tattoo. It was the tattoo of the man from the flyers'. Just to be sure, Dean brought out those papers and compared the tattoo. When he was sure, he looked the scarecrow in the eyes, 'Nice tat.'

Wasting not another second, he drove back to the girl, and the family who showed him the way down to the orchard. Pulling up in front of the petrol pump, that was just the part of the family's house, he got out.

'You're back,' the blonde girl who had been standing there, greeted.

'Never left,' Dean smirked.

'Still looking for your friends?'

Dean just nodded, changing the subject. 'Mind filling it up there, uh, Emily?'

She grinned, consenting. She started filling Baby's tank, and Dean began questioning her. 'So, did you grow up here?'