Chapter 5: Menace in the Dark

The Sun animatronic began to shriek wildly.

Ah, Michael thought.

This behavior was definitely more like what he had come to expect out of these robots.

"No! No! Why would you do that? Lights on! Lights on! I warned you! I warned you!" it shouted, and then it fell backwards onto the floor with a clunk. It writhed about on the tile, animatronic mechanisms clicking and sliding into place.

Michael was about to run over and fetch the boy, when the animatronic suddenly stilled. It began to rise back up. Different than it was before. The perky little rays that had once surrounded its face had gone away, replaced by a night cap. Half of its face had darkened, so that the face appeared to be a crescent moon. And, to top it all off, one of its eyes shown a sickening shade of red.

Never a good sign.

"Naughty boy. Naughty boy. It's past your bedtime! You must be punished! Nighty night." Its voice now sounded darker and more distorted.

To make the situation that much more unfortunate, the Moon animatronic was suddenly snatched up by a chord on the ceiling. Michael was now acutely aware of how he felt very exposed in this dark room. At most of his other Fazbear Entertainment jobs, he knew where the danger was going to come from. Here, however, he was not afforded such a luxury. He instinctively got down on his hands and knees. He was not really able to rationalize why he did this. He could make the argument that crawling on the floor would make him more difficult to spot in the darkness, but if he was truly honest with himself, it was because he was freaking terrified.

He hurriedly crawled over to the desk area, to reach the boy. Unfortunately, the boy was already gone by the time he got over there.

"Seriously? He was just here!" He hissed in a whisper.

He peered over the top of the desk and scanned the room. He spotted the unmistakable bobbing illumination of a flashlight shining from within the play structures. His eyes also latched onto the sight of the Moon animatronic crawling up one of the plastic slides on all-fours. It came across extremely spider-like and it sent a shiver down Michael's spine.

Michael began to move forward, wanting to go to the boy and help him. But he hesitated. Right now, he could see that the animatronic was still a good distance away from him. If Michael tried to reach him now, he would only draw attention to himself, and probably reveal the boy's position. He was just going to have to hope that whatever it was that kid was doing in the play structures, he was able to do it quickly and quietly.

Instead, he wanted to see if there was any way of unlocking those massive double doors. He rifled through papers, pens, and pencils, but still found nothing. He looked down at the floor. Underneath the desk was a little bear shaped container. Its mouth was open and laying next it was a small key card.

That must be what that kid knocked over earlier, Michael realized.

He picked up the key car and held it in his palm. The card read, "Security Pass." Michael wondered what that could grant access to. He went ahead and pocketed it, because that definitely sounded like something that was going to be important.

Something caught his attention from the corner of his eye. He looked up and sure enough, the light at the bottom of one of the computer monitors had lit up.

"That's odd." He muttered suspiciously.

The monitor turned to static, silent in the dark room. Michael squinted at the screen. He began to see faint shapes in the static. He wasn't sure if this was just his eyes playing tricks on him. He scooted himself closer to the monitor. He thought he could make out some stars. The image began to clear a bit. He was so close to the monitor now; his forehead was practically pressed against it.

Were those, rabbit ears?

Suddenly the lights switched back on. Michael looked up at the overhead lights for a split second, and when he looked back at the monitor it was off again. He shook off his paranoia and slowly stood up from his position on the floor, peaking over the desk. He couldn't see the animatronic, or the kid.

"Hey!"

Michael whipped around to see the kid. He had just stepped around the side of the desk, and he was holding his flashlight up in a defensive position, ready to strike at any sign of danger.