| chapter nineteen |

"What's everyone's curfew?" Benny asked us, all huddled in the dugout, sipping on cokes.

"My mom pushed mine to eleven!"

"Ten-thirty."

"Same here!" Everyone chimed in, announcing their given times.

Benny shook his head in satisfaction, as he pulled several coins and crumpled dollar bills out of his pocket. "Perfect, 'cause we've got a carnival to catch!"

We all managed to make it to the carnival in one piece - shocking, right? - and proceeded to stumble towards the ticket booth.

We all anxiously huddled around the table, bunching around our pockets to dig for coins."Hey, guys, guys, guys, it's all on me tonight." Benny announced the group, however, making us all cheer in relief. "Nine tickets, please."

"Thanks, Benny! You're the best."

"Wow, what a gentleman! I'm impressed!" I joked, elbowing his arm.

"Nah, don't worry bout it, I do it every year." He blushed, making me laugh as I thanked him.

"How about we go explore, meet back here in an hour! I've got a surprise." Bertram declared after everyone had gotten their respective ticket. The group agreed, and we all went our separate ways. Some of them went towards the games, Ham and Squints near the food stands, but Benny soon grabbed my arm, dragging me towards the biggest ride there - the dropper.

You know, the big one that is practically a torture device that throws you into the air and violently drops you for no reason at all. Definitely not my cup of tea to say the least.

"Oh hell no." I cried out, attempting to walk away. The boy persisted, however, tugging me further and further into line.

"Cmon Elle, it won't be too bad I promise. You're not gonna pussy out on me, are you?" I rolled my eyes, but I couldn't say no. Even if we are, and will stay friends for the rest of the summer, he still had a soft part in my heart. Not in a romantic way though, as I managed to tuck away any remaining feelings I had for him in the back of my brain after our chat at the diner.

"Fine, but you owe me a snowcone after."

"Deal!" He grinned as we walked towards the huge metal tower. We both sat in the ride's chairs, as we yanked down the safety harness. I was extremely hesitant at first, but Benny kept teasing me until I gave in every time.

"God, I really hate you," I express as the seatbelts lock into place with a loud click.

"You don't mean that," He mutters. I then glance at him with a subtle grin, as he glimpses back at me. Our eyes lock for a moment, but there was a weird anticipation that made my stomach swirl. It wasn't a bad feeling, it was good actually. Like that feeling that comes around after you've done really good on a test, or just seen a cute puppy. That kinda feeling.

The thing that sucks about it though, is that I shouldn't be feeling this feeling. I should be feeling nothing but panic right now, as I'm about to be flung four stories into the air, yet my body felt warm and tingly looking back at him.

I quickly shook myself out of it though, snapping us both back into reality. After all, the last thing I want is to have a crush on Benny again. Besides, it would just ruin everything with the rest of the group, plus I realized after he swerved me that he's not worth wasting energy on.

I heard the ride make a loud boom, before rising our vehicle slowly into the air.

"You ready?" He asked.

"Uhm." I gulped. "Ready as I'll ever be!" I shakily shouted back as we ascended.

We continued to go up, and up, and up, higher and higher until we were dozens of yards off the group.