| chapter forty two |

As the scrawny boy promiscuously hopped into the driver's seat, I decided to pull Mila aside for a measly pep talk.

"The hell has gotten into you?" I whispered under my breath.

"Stop Elle, god you're so annoying,"

"Annoying?" I scoffed.

She rolled her eyes, "Xavier's like, really hot you know,"

"...Yeah?"

"Well, I just took an edible just for fun, and I'm gonna-"

I cut the idiot off, "First of all, you met him two seconds ago and we both know what he did to me a few days ago, second of all, where did you even get the edibles?"

"Relaxxx," She slurred, "Stole 'em from my brother's room. Plus, if it's that big of a deal for me to flirt with him, why are we even going?"

My mouth hung open, but I kept my cool as much as possible, "Man, those edibles must have hit you like a truck." I scoffed, walking around the vehicle to enter the passenger's seat,

Before she stopped me.

"What?" I turned to her, eyes widened.

"I'm getting shotgun."

"Dude, you couldn't even talk to him inside-"

"Well now I've had my boost of confidence, so let me get front."

I angrily shook my arm from the girl's grip before moping my way to the backseat and sliding my way in.

Over winter break, Mila and I decided to smoke a blunt we stole from her brother's friend as a little treat for the end of the semester,

What I didn't know, however, was how fucking insufferable she'd become.

God, it's like the devil possesses her soul and takes over her limbs or somethin', 'cause I swear that every time that girl has a drop of weed in her system, she turns total mega-bitch on me.

One would assume someone would relax and be all loopy—but no. Instead, she felt the need to call my (now old) crush and confess all my secrets to him. Last I checked, weed doesn't make the normal person do wacko shit like that.

So, because of this, I have vouched with myself to never smoke with her again.

Guess it wasn't my choice this time.

-

To skip the extremely embarrassing and messy details, we ended up driving to this janky 24-hour burger place way out of town to get a shake and fries.

I couldn't help distract myself, however, from the girl in front of me who was practically throwing herself at the man behind the wheel.

But I want a milkshake Xavier! Oh my god Xavier, stop you're sooooo funny!

By the time we made it out of the drive-through, I genuinely wanted to stab my eyes out.

It wasn't only the comments—it was the hand placement, the hair twirling, the arm touching, god it made me sick. The worst part about it though, he wasn't even reciprocating a single bit.

My stomach was too knotted to order anything, though Xavier offered several times, and I eventually just told him to take a left on my street to stop myself from slitting my neck in the back of his leather-line car.

For crying out loud, I practically had to dig my hands and pry her ass off the seat to get her inside.

"Aww, we home already?" She cried as I yanked on her arm, now halfway out of the vehicle.