| chapter fifty |

I lay on my back, staring at the blank ceiling as my music hummed softly in the background. Grandma said it was about time I took down all my decorations, yet there was a small piece within me that hoped I could keep up the posters for next summer, though I knew those chances were slim to none.

The sun faded over the horizon, and soon enough, the walls of my room would be blank, and the bed would adorn nothing but white linen pillowcases. 

I'd spent most of my day mulling around in my room avoiding all of my priorities. After all, it's not like I really have many friends here anymore.

But, nonetheless, I heard the phone ring.

Rolling over and pausing my walkman, I pulled the phone off my nightstand and unclicked the device.

"Hello, Giselle Perlman speaking."

Nothing came out besides a staticky ringing in my ear until I heard a low voice speak.

"Hey."

Xavier?

"D told me you're leaving in a few days, must blow."

Definitely Xavier.

"Otwell?"

"Yeah?"

I chuckled, "Never mind, continue..."

I could hear his grin through the phone as he spoke, "It's been a while."

"Mhm. A few weeks."

He sighed, "Well, you busy right now? Not with your boyfriend or anything, right?"

The smile faded from my face, but I cleared my throat and replied, "No, nope. Why do you ask?"

"I've got a few joints in my pocket, and a tank full of gas. Be at your house in twenty?"

I hesitated, but eventually gave in, propping myself up on my elbows. 

"Hmm... why not."

-

The blond shaggy boy was, indeed, parked at the front of my house only a few moments later.

I sported an extremely baggy pair of grey sweats, along with a tight black tank top and my busted Reeboks. Not the most unique outfit, but I've given up at this point.  

Strolling out of the house, I walked up to his glimmering vehicle and pulled the passenger seat open, taking a comfortable seat before slamming the door shut with a sigh.

The car was quiet as I turned to face him. "Hi."

"Hey," He mumbled, staring into my eyes, "How are you?"

I leaned back in my seat as we maintained eye contact, "I'm alright. How bout you?"

"Pretty good, as always," He spoke as he pulled the car out of park, "So I think our plan is to smoke a bit, then get some shitty drive-thru food if you're down?"

I nodded, shooting him a small smile, "Sounds good to me."

"So... heard about the little going away party Diane is hosting, seems pretty fun, think I'll probably end up going."

"Yeah, yeah, that's good."

As we continued to drive, the radio now humming Billy Idol softly in the background, I kept feeling his eyes on me, burning through my cheeks as he glanced over.

"You aight?"

I finally locked eyes with him, "Mhm. Just a little weird."

"Me too. I know we've had kinda a rough time this summer, but... I'm gonna miss you."