| chapter thirty nine |

My eyes seemed to burn as the light reflected off my glossy eyes, slowly stumbling down the dim hallway.

I wiped my lips with the back of my hands and made my way to the closest bathroom, where I locked the door and immediately went to the sink.

Swishing water in my mouth, I spat the murky liquid into the sink, attempting to calm the complete panic attack that had formed.

I wanna puke.

Rushing out of the room, I scurried down the golden stairs, which now seemed duller than ever.

I scanned the gigantic space through foggy eyes, yet I couldn't find anyone.

I was completely lost in the maze of the Otwell mansion, as it seemed as if there were thousands of hallways and rooms either empty or filled with unfamiliar faces.

Until, I eventually burst into a small room, covered in fake greenery and a bright orange couch. And sitting on the sofa was no other than Diane, and to my shock, Phillips.

I sighed with relief but still panicked as the words overflowed out of my mouth quicker than I could think. "We need to leave."

I saw Jordan attempt to slickly slip his arm out from behind her, as Diane's face grew with concern, "Why? Everything good Giselle?"

"Look, I... I'll explain in the car, we just gotta go."

"I don't-"

"Please D," I said softly as I felt my knees shake harder and harder.

"Alright, alright," The girl gestured, throwing the blanket off of her lap, "I'll catch you later, Phillips,"

"Sorry!" I called out into the room as Diane grabbed my hand and pulled me toward the exit.

In the faint distance, I heard his snarky voice yell out, "Call me!"

-

The car door slammed.

"Jesus Christ, you look like shit." She murmured as she turn to face me in the driver's seat.

"Thanks," I chuckled through tears as I wiped my eyes.

"So what's goin' on Giselle? I'd like an explanation." She sighed, with a slightly frustrated, but still consoling tone.

"I'm sorry," I choked out, "It's just Xavier."

"Well, what happened? Surely it's not too bad, he's a really nice guy."

I sniffled, "That's the thing, I thought so too.
I found him wasted in the bathroom alone, and he started rambling about... stupid shit, and then he told me he loved me," The girl gasped, "I know. And then he, he," I stared at the floor picking at the skin around my fingernails. She placed a hand on my shoulder as I let out a shaky sigh before continuing. "He fucking grabbed me and started kissing me."

Her expression immediately softened, "Oh."

She pulled me into a tight hug as I rested my head on her shoulder. "I-I couldn't do anything, he had me pinned against a wall, and he was way too strong for me,"

"I'm so sorry babe," She muttered as I began to cry, as I typically do under pressure.

"And I feel awful about it. I mean, what about Benny? We are practically dating, and now I just kissed the guy he-"

"Giselle," She spoke loud and clear, grabbing my shoulders and looking me in the eyes. "You should not be worrying about Benny, god, he's the least of your concerns right now. It is not your fault Xavier basically assaulted you, and I need to know if you're okay. Did he do anything else?" I shook my head. "That's good, that's good. And he was under the influence, you said?" I nodded. "Alright, that's all I need to know. But how bout' we drive back to mine and watch a movie, mkay?" There was a slight pause, but I eventually responded.

"I don't deserve you, Diane," I chuckled as my tears finally subsided.

The girl smiled, "Don't mention it."

-

I spent the night at Diane's, and after I had fully calmed down, we discussed the circumstance once again and came to three conclusions:

One: Diane should get with Phillips again,

Two: I will not be talking to Xavier unless he gives me the best apology ever known to man, as being drunk shouldn't be an excuse for laying hands on me,

And three: I need to tell Benny.

And I know what you're thinking. "What the fuck Elle, are you out of your mind?"

And I get why you'd think that! But based on the fact that I have a very short amount of time left here with Benny, I'm not trying to hide any secrets here.

I may be a bitch from time to time, but I'm not a cheater.

So after sleeping in till three, Diane graciously gave me a ride home in her beautiful car, and I anxiously marched my way over to Benny's.

Yet as I approached his home, something caught my eye.

The blue-tinted window to his bedroom was wide open, but the curtain was strangely closed.

Tiptoeing my way closer, there was a voice. His voice.

"Yeah, mhm," He laughed, "I'm glad you're doin' good, I haven't been too bad," There was static growing louder and louder as I listened through the opening. Is he calling someone?

"With her? Yeah, it's been pretty good," He continued, "She's a cool girl or whatever, nothing super serious though... yeah she did... mhm... yep. I just," The boy sighed, as the cool wind blew against my neck,

"She's going home in a few weeks anyway, gotta make the most of it, you feel me? I know, I know, it was nice while it lasted, but there's not really a point in makin' shit complicated."

The breath was practically sucked out of my chest, but I had heard enough.

If that's really how he feels, then fine. It was the truth after all, wasn't it?

Not sure if it was pure shock or anger, but I shoved his words to the back of my mind. There's really no point in fighting with him, after all, Benny and I are "nothing super serious" anyways.

He's being reasonable and rational I guess, but still, it didn't take away from the burn my heart felt as the words fluttered out of his mouth.

As his conversation continued, I slowly backed away from his room, and I eventually picked up the pace and ran home.

I guess it's better to stay quiet sometimes.

*

3 chapters 1 week? this is effing crazy

hope u enjoyed this little short chapter, i wasn't sure how to space out these events, but ultimately decided to split up the day

also: the end is near! sorta kinda not really, but elle only has three weeks in california left...

what will happen next?!?!

stay tuned ;)

- alex