| chapter twenty four |

Hmph.

When I tell you my world has never taken a bigger 360 in its entire existence, I mean it.

I mean, going from shitting my pants for the past couple weeks over a stupid boy, to being in his bed? Well, not like that obviously, but I still can't tell if that was all a hallucination, and it's been an hour since i got home.

My grandparents didn't notice a thing, probably because they're old and have better things to worry about than their grandkid sneaking out, meaning I made it back safe and sound.

Though last night was quite the dream, it also meant that I'm now having to return for the sandlot after my "hiatus", if you would call it that.

Jeez, I really gotta stop acting so dramatic, or the boys are gonna get fed up with me disappearing all the time.

Anyhow, I quickly hopped in the shower, as I was feeling extremely musty from the rainwater, as well as tossing Benny's clothes in the wash (except his hoodie, wouldn't wanna rinse away his feel) as well as putting on a fresh outfit of baggy jeans and a tight black tank top.

I pushed my damp hair into a messy bun and put on sunscreen as well as a bit of makeup for the day.

You know, I thought when I made it to this point - the point where I have to reunite with the boys after I vanished - I would be more anxious. Yet, I wasn't, I mean not really.

At least now that Benny and I worked out our "issues", and agreed to keep this whole thing undercover, everything is settled, and I can finally go back to playin' ball.

Never thought I'd say this, but I really am starting to miss Squints annoying voice, so I think it's about time.

I had to be at the sandlot in roughly ten, so I chucked on my dusty Reebok's and tidied up my room, making my way into the hallway.

Yet, before I could step foot out the door, there was a loud voice shouting from within the home.

"GISELLE HONEY?!" Grandma yelled. I quickly whipped around, yet nobody was behind me. Weird, she never stops me from doing anything, especially leaving the house.

"UH, YEAH GRANDMA, I'M ABOUT TO LEAVE!" I shouted back.

"I HAVE A QUESTION BABY, COME IN HERE!" Slowly tracking down her voice, I found her sitting on a stool in the mud room in front of the washer, holding a clump of damp clothes.

"What is it?" I mumbled. "I gotta meet my friends  in five minutes!"

She stared at the items in her hand, before holding up a pair of pajama pants. Shit. "Well you see, I was trying to finish up your Grandpa's whites, and I found these. Are these yours?"

I stuttered and stammered over my words, before spitting out a small "Yeah... yeah they're mine," as I stared at my grandmother holding up a pair of Benny's pants he lent me.

Grandma looked at me in the eyes as she nodded her head slowly, yet her mouth grew a small smirk. "You know, I may be old but I ain't stupid," She then checked the tag and drew her head back. "Lord, these are a mens size large! And these socks could fit a size nine!"

"Uh huh, I'm growin' pretty fast!" I awkwardly chuckled as I gulped down the large lump in my throat. "It's nothing Grandma I swear-" I walked towards her and began to reach for the clothes, but she stopped me.

"You've been talking to a boy, huh honey?" She asked me.

That's when I froze, eyes widened, starting at her.

"Um." I breathed in as I tapped my foot against the wooden tiles. "...Yeah! Mhm. They're B-B... Bobby's! Bobby Reynolds, the boy I'm dating back home. Seven months strong!" I chuckled as I took the pile of wet clothes. "...Missing him extra today."