| chapter forty four |

August 7th, 5:58 PM, 1982. I've got a date to catch.

The current status: I'm still in my pajamas, hair unbrushed, face uncleansed, body unshaven. Jesus Christ, I'm a mess.

Starting off with the main issue, I'm harrier than that one time I left my razor at home over a two-month summer camp, so time to get to work.

Hopping in the excruciatingly hot water streaming from above, I washed my hair, removing any access makeup from the day before, and exfoliating and shaving my skin till it was baby smooth. Oh, how I love being a woman.

After exiting the steamy tub, I wrapped myself in a towel, brushed my teeth for five minutes to ensure my breath was nice, and followed it up by moisturizing every square inch of my body with a vanilla-scented lotion.

Untying my hair, I clicked the stereo on, blasting the typical pop tunes on the radio as I blew out my hair to curly perfection. Farrah Fawcett can't even compete with this kinda elegance!

I spun elegantly into my room, plopping on my vanity to fix my face.

The sunburn from a few days ago had finally vanished, so I plucked my brows and mustache, preparing for today's makeup.

I kept it clean and simple; just a bit of concealer, bronzer, blush, and mascara to extenuate my long lashes.

With time slipping through my fingers way too quickly, I scurried over to my closet with the last twenty minutes I had.

Thankfully, the lords were on my side, as I put together the perfect movie-date outfit. Just a cute floral babydoll tank top, and a black miniskirt, along with my white sneakers and frilly socks.

For a final touch, I obviously threw on deodorant, perfume, and lipgloss in my pocket, but also a large pair of thick silver hoops and a necklace that adorned a small heart pendant.

Just as I managed to slip on my last shoe, I heard a faint car honk, along with blinding lights flashing through my window.

"The hell?" I mumbled to myself as I walked over, pulling the curtains back.

To my shock, there was a sleek black convertible in my driveway.

Quickly picking up the pace, I hurried out the front door up to the vehicle.

To even more surprise than the car itself, Benny was sitting in the front seat, wearing a pair of baggy jeans and a partially unbuttoned flowy shirt.

"Am I too early?" The boy chuckled, leaping out of the car to greet me.

I was speechless. I mean, not only was the car the most gorgeous car I had ever seen, but it was clear he had put in some effort to clean up, cause damn was he looking fine.

"I-," I choked, covering my blushing face as he dragged me to the car by my hand, opening the door and guiding me in. "I didn't know you could drive, let alone have a car,"

"Permit, still counts though. And it's not really my car, but that's not the point,"

Sitting against the soft leather seats, I leaned back in a sigh, "Nobody's ever done something like this for me. Thanks, Rodriguez."

The boy laughed, pulling out a small bouquet of red flowers from the backseat, "Thought these would match your sheets. Besides, gotta go all out at least once, right?" He mumbled, pecking me on the cheek as I placed the bundle in my lap. I was speechless. "You look..."

"I look?" I mumbled, looking up at him.

"Stunning. I mean- not that you don't always look-"

"I get it, idiot, you look quite good yourself." I chuckled, my shoulders relaxing, "So what's the plan?"