Chapter 44: A Debt in the Dark

Jameson didn't open the door the first knock. Or the second. Or the third. It took many, many knocks to get him to slam the door open, irritation clear on his features. His angry yell was stopped short at the young boy beside me.

May we come in? It's urgent he is not seen. Jameson nods and studies the boy as he trails along beside me, distrust on his every feature.

"Who is he?" He asks.

Guinevere's little brother.

"Who?" He asks, confusion evident in his face as he closes the door behind us.

It is Brynn's actual name. I only learned of it recently.

"Oh," he says, "So why have you disturbed my rest this early in the morning?"

I need you to get him and another to the place I will not go. I had told Jameson of this place many years ago. I had long refused to turn to that place ever again, let alone speak of it whereabouts.

"It will cost you."

As long as they both get there undetected and safe, I don't give a shit what I owe you.

"It will have to be a price. To be named at a later date." Shit. I knew that was what he would ask, yet I was a fool to hope it would be less.

You know the rules of that, do you not?

"Yes. No killing. No harming of children. No sexual favors. Blah, blah, blah. Do we have a deal?"

Fine. But get it started before the sun rises or the deal is off.

"Agreed," he says before going to his desk and beginning to write on a piece of paper frantically.

I kneel down to Zions level and say, "It will be dangerous for me to stay with you any longer Zion. I have many enemies and they will harm you if they learn of any connection to me. I need you to go and travel with Jameson. He will keep you safe and get you lots of food."

"Will I be safe with him?" Zion asks nervously. I cannot fully guarantee his safety, therefore I can only nod my head to his question. Turing to look back at Jameson, I notice that he is staring at me with a strange look on his face. I give him a quizzical look in response.

Glancing between Zion and I, he asks, "What really happened that night?" I sigh internally. I knew that was what he was going to ask.

"I can't tell you."

"Can't or won't," he replies scathingly.

"Both." We sullenly stare at each other, anger and annoyance prevalent in each other's gazes.

Relenting, Jameson turns to Zion and says, "What is your name?"

Looking to me for reassurance, Zion finally managed to stutter out, "Z-Zion, sir"

"Zion," Jameson repeats, "A good name. My name is Jameson. I'll be making sure you are taken care of for the next few months, if that is alright with you."

"The last man that said that left me to go hungry," Zion replies. Jameson turns his gaze towards me in accusation and question. The look on my face is all the answer he needs.

Turning back to Zion, he says, "If you won't take my word that you will be safe, will you take Aerilynn's word?"

Zion looks confused, "Aerilynn?"

"The lady that rescued you and gave you food." Jameson supplies.

"Oh," Zion ponders on it for a minute before nodding.