Chapter 66: Maps in the Dark

Thank you to @PrincessRobinson for your support and continued reading of A Song of Silence! I couldn't do this without each and every one of my readers!

OMG! Thank you all for the 10k reads!!!!! This is an amazing achievement and I couldn't have done this without each and every one of my followers and readers!!!!! Ahhhh! So exciting!!!

I managed to limp back to my rooms without being seen. The halls are strangely empty, no doubt a result of the Grand Assassin paying the High Queen and I a visit. The guards had either been bribed or killed by assassins working for the Grand Assassin. I shook my head at the thought. Grabbing my medicine case from the depths of my closet, I pulled out a salve I had made especially to reduce swelling and remove bruising. I could only do so much for the cuts and scrapes, but they should scab over by breakfast.

First though, I needed a bath. It had been enough time that I wouldn't be breaking my promise to Azazel, so I eased myself down into the warm water. My various cuts stung at the contact and the bruises across my body started to throb. Groaning, I quickly washed myself and scrambled out of the tub. The salve worked wonders on my bruises. They started to numb the bruises the minute the salve touched my skin and I sighed in relief. Covering my various cuts with gauze and tape, I stretched out and readied for an escape to the library.

My marks would fade until tomorrow or later in the week, so I didn't need to be seen by anyone. Still, I applied a small amount of concealer on my face so that I would appear unharmed unless someone looked too closely at my face. I couldn't let anyone know what had happened between the High Queen and I, too many questions would be asked and I don't know if the High Queen would keep my killing of the late High King a secret. Moreover, I didn't need that particular secret being revealed before I could hunt down and hopefully take care of the Grand Assassin. My chances weren't great. His security was top notch and he had been fending off assassinations for hundreds of years. I knew I probably wouldn't survive the attempt or even if I did succeed, the High King would make sure to take me with him. He was a spiteful bastard that way.

I would think on my breaking off this thing between Azazel and I later. He would sense my nerves and the new stiffness between us, but I could sum that up to my nerves over finding the people in the prophecy before more people got hurt. Azazel was no fool, but my excuse could placate him until I broke off our fling or until I left the Capital, whichever came first. I just prayed to any diety listening that he would survive my betrayal. Azazel is strong and he can bounce back, but he had started to trust me in a way I knew he hadn't with any other fae. It only spelled trouble when I would inevitably have to break his trust, and therefore his heart.

Shaking my head out of my morose thoughts, I left my rooms and headed towards the library. There would be very few fae there and Karasi wouldn't think to look for me there until much later in the day. I could escape for a few hours and hopefully allow some of my cuts a bruises to heal. Just as I had suspected, there was nobody but a few librarians in sight and they all answered to Azazel. He made sure that those taking care of the carefully preserved knowledge in the library weren't slacking off at their task. I grabbed a few maps and a scroll for cave systems across Altreya. If the Grand Assassin were to hide anywhere, it would be in the cave systems. They were confusing, dangerous, and difficult to navigate if you didn't know them by heart. I was covered by bookshelves on either side, so I would be hard to spot and unlikely to be interrupted by any of the librarians. The library was several levels anyway, the chance of anyone disturbing me were slim unless they specifically knew where I was.

Minutes flew into hours and I didn't notice the time flying by. I was too engrossed in my work and research, even though they did not give me the lead I was hoping to find on where the Grand Assassin would go if the guild he had worked so hard to create was attacked. "Well, well, well," a voice said next to me, "you look rather busy." Shit. I really didn't have the patience for this right now. Looking over, I saw Guinevere standing there with a devious smile on her face. I looked back at the table in front of me. The cave systems map was well hidden under many other scrolls, so she shouldn't see it, but the maps and my markings on them were still on full display.

Shouldn't you be leaving today? I thought you would be weeping at the thought of leaving your precious one chance at fame behind.

Guinevere puts her hands on her hips, a mocking expression on her face, "Oh, you hadn't heard? I have been given the chance to stay and sing for the noble house of Prill."

How fortuitous for you, then. Does that somehow pertain to why you are bothering me? I ask unable to keep the irritated look off my face.

Guinevere saunters closer, "I just came to relay a message from a mutual friend of ours. He says that you will not be able to hide the children from him. He has already found them and they will die if your mission is not completed." She smiles brighter as I pale at the thought of the Grand Assassin getting his greedy hands on Rose and Zion. But he couldn't reach them. Jameson made sure of it. He couldn't touch them. Right? Guinevere smile grows impossibly bigger as my silence grows.

Gathering my courage, I sign, What children. If he means the orphans, I know just how easily he can reach them.

Guinevere tsks in mock sympathy as she says, "Dearest Aeri! We both know you have never played the fool before. Why start now? You know exactly what children he speaks of and do not be foolish in thinking that Lord Jameson hid them from us. We found them easily enough."

Her phrasing makes me pause, Us?

Her gloating smile becomes that of a snake, "Oh you haven't heard? The Grand Assassin and I are to be married by spring. He says my voice is a muse like none other and I am soon to be the bearer of many, many children in the future."

Her gloating almost makes me laugh, And are you aware of just how much older he is than you? He is almost a thousand years older than you!

She shrugs it off as nothing, "Age means nothing to the fae. Besides, all that age must have taught him a few things in the bedroom." Little did Guinevere know the Grand Assassin was well known by those closest to him to be very, fucking rough with his bed partners. Most came out of his rooms injured, limping, and bruised. The Grand Assassin was probably only marrying her because she was so young and he needed an heir before he became too old. Or at least an heir that was not me. An heir who he could control. Either that or he would try to wait until I had a child of my own, if I chose to. Though I had sworn to myself long ago that I would never have a child while my father lived and breathed, so that was much less likely.

I only shrug at Guinevere, "You have said your message, now if you would leave me alone...." My dismissal of her engagement rankles here pride. Marrying a male such as the Grand Assassin is a big fucking deal, but I know she will be killed sooner rather than later if she doesn't produce him an heir. I pity her more than anything.

"That means you'd better watch it Aerilynn. When the Grand Assassin and I are married, I could send assassins to kill you in a heartbeat." Her threat is empty and I dismiss her once again. The Grand Assassin would never allow my death, not until he had a child to replace me. He was many things, but wasteful wasn't one of them and I had a use, for now.

Whatever, I sign as I go back to my maps. With nothing left to say or float over, Guinevere scoffs and makes her way out of the library. How I had been foolish enough to fall for her innocent act all those weeks ago, I'd never know. Shrugging, I put the maps away and headed back to my rooms. It was dark enough that it had been past dinner time and I could retire to my rooms feigning tiredness. Hopefully Azazel wouldn't disturb me tonight. I enjoyed our time together, but I needed some sleep. Changing into my nightclothes, sleep took me before I could think.