Chapter 56: A Kiss in the Dark

As predicted, it was nothing but chaos the next morning. I was roughly awakened once again by Karasi bursting into my rooms at dawn, panic across her beautiful face. I slump back into my comfortable pillows, hoping she will leave me be and let me sleep. Instead I am roughly dragged out of bed with a dress roughly shoved over my head.

Karasi! What in all the bloody hell's has gotten into you!

While still shoving the dress over my head, she says, "The prisoners escaped last night. We're holding and emergency meeting before the news reaches the rest of the nobles. Quickly putting on my shoes and running a brush through my tangled hair, I follow Karasi down the hallway. Looking down at my nails, I realize I had some dirt from the cells still stuck underneath them. Curling my hands into fists, I hope that the court will just dismiss the dirt if it is noticed.

Karasi rushes through the doors of the inner courts main meeting room. The rest of the court looks slightly panicked and stressed as the doors slam behind us. Everyone except Azazel. He looks perfectly calm and collected. Totally unaffected by the missing prisoners and the repercussions if they are not punished today at noon. It's a strange sight to see at dawn tone sure. Azazel notices my gaze and meets it with his silver eyes that miss nothing. He cocks a brow in silent question, probably wondering why I am not panicking as well. I merely shrug and go back to observing the rest of the court.

"Well, what can we do?" Karasi asks desperately.

"Maybe we can send out scouts to look for them." Isolde reasons.

Azazel still stays quiet. Pondering. Thinking. But still nothing. His lack of response to the prisoners yesterday and his reaction to their missing state today further enrages me. How can he not care about his people or the state of his crown now that the prisoners have escaped. Eliciting to ignore them all, I survey the feast of food in front of us on the table. Sitting down in one of the chairs, I help myself to some breakfast. No use letting all this food go to waste.

I don't notice the silence until I feel the heat from all their stares. Looking up, I see Karasi and all the others looking at me in slight horror and amazement. All except Azazel, of course, he looks positively amused. What? All this yelling is not going to stop me from getting a good breakfast this morning. Turning away from their stares, I go back to my meal and rush to eat it before it gets cold. A gravelly laugh, positively thrilled at something, makes me look up once more. Azazel is chuckling with a wide smile plastered on his face as he gazes at me. What? I ask.

"You think I don't know?" He asks quietly.

Of course he ducking knows. He's the High King and he isn't an idiot. He probably figured out I had freed the prisoners when he had heard the news. How the rest of the court hadn't figured it out was beyond me. I hadn't exactly made my skills a secret, so the name of the person who freed the prisoners should be a no brainer. What? That your a total imbecile and have no sense of justice or honor. Yes. And for your information I would repeat my actions from last night all over again without regretting a moment of it. With that I look away from his stubbed gaze and go back to my meal. Silence follows my proclamation. The puzzle pieces finally click together in their minds and they stare at me with a multitude of emotions. Amazement. Anger. Confusion. I feel it all and I don't look at them as they struggle to find the words.

"You did what!" Karasi screeches.

Turning to her furious form, I sign, You know exactly what I did.

"Well, why in all the hells would you do it!" She yells back.

I stand abruptly and my chair falls over behind me, "So those people would have a second chance in a world where the egotistical and cruel won't call the shots! They did not deserve to have their sentences handed out to them by those contestants. Calliope is a vain bitch who took great satisfaction by sentencing her prisoner to death! Brynn gave her prisoner Agatha punishment because she thought she would look better in the eyes of the court! And Roseline gave her sentence only out a sense of duty and not justice!"