Chapter 9

One week passed within the blink of an eye. Today it's Saturday. Today is my date with Adam. I'm super excited about it. Viv came back yesterday night. She told that her grandmother is feeling well and said thanks for the ginger tea. Viv gave me a white shirt and knee-length denim skirt with net at the bottom for wearing today.

"How's it?".
"Do you like it or.... want to change it?". She asked.
"No, Viv, it's great". I replied.
Then she helped me to fix my hair.
"Is he coming to pick you up?" Viv asked while tieing my hair.
"Yeah, maybe I guess," I said while playing with a strand of my hair.
She looked at me and said, "You don't know!!, then I'll call him and ask".
Suddenly we heard a knock on the door.
"No need to call, that will be him," I said with excitement. I went to open the door. There Adam was standing with a bouquet of red roses.
"For you Amaika", he gave the bouquet to me. "You look.... amazing," he said. I blushed.
"You too".
He's wearing a black Henley shirt and blue jeans.
"Come on in", I invited him in. "I'll be ready in a minute".
I went to him to get a last-minute check.
"Am I looking good, is everything fine?" I asked Viv.
"You are Great. Go and enjoy the day".
I came back to the living room.
"All set?" he asked.
"Yep ready to go".

I hopped into his black SUV.
"Where are we going?" I asked.
"You'll see", he smiled. That smile. He doesn't smile frequently. This time his smile was perfect. His blue eyes are shining brightly.

He takes me to Central park first. We sat in a less crowded place.
"So it's here you're bringing me" I cocked my head at him. He smiled.
"I want to know more about and it's the best place to talk," he said.
"Oh, okay I'll ask you some questions then you ask one question okay?". I nodded.
"What is your favourite thing to do?". He asked first.
"Umm, I love reading novels, Colleen Hoover is my favorite author". "I have all her books collection in my home," I told him.
"I don't like romance novels". He said.
"So, you don't read books?" I asked.
"I do, mostly I read historical fiction". "Oh". "Next is my turn," I said with a smirk.
"Tell me about your ex-girlfriends". He sighed,
"I haven't been in a relationship for a while now". He looked at me and said.
"Umm, Can I ask why?" I blurted out.
"No, I don't want to talk about that stuff". Inside my mind wanted to ask but I intend not to.
"So am the one you are bringing for a date after this whole time?".
"Yeah, you are".
Inside me, I felt some kind of happy feeling which I can't say but also felt sad for him. Okay, that's enough now it's my turn. "What's your favourite food and do you like pets?" He asked.
"I like biriyani very much, Have you ever had it?" "Yes once, I had some Indian friends back in college," he said.
"Then I love dark chocolate very much but all my friends back in India hated it".
"Then about pets, I have always wanted a dog but my mom didn't allow me to own one, They are so cute and friendly," I said to him.
We get to know each other a lot, I'm kinda liking his personality a lot now. In my mind, I wanted to ask him about his family and other things but I didn't want to ruin our date.

He's driving now.
"Isn't it the way to where Sue lives?".
"Yeah" he nodded. "Are we going there?" I asked.
"Nope, but to another place, I think you'll like it". After half an hour's drive, we reached in front of a bookstore.
"We're here". He opened the door.
"I know this place," I told him.
It was Josette's store.
"Hey, Adam". Josetta is standing there.
"Hi", I said.
"Oh dear, it's you, Your name, Uh, I knew it she said while thinking.
"Ah Amaika", I said.
"Yeah that's it, You guys know each other?". Adam asked.
"Yeah, I have been here one time to buy some books". I said.
"Oh, so I'm officially introducing you guys". "Amaika this is Josetta, I call her Josie she was my mother's best friend and my second mother".
They both smiled.
"It's been a long time since I have seen you, my boy," she said.
"I'm busy Josie". I liked their bond very much it's like a mother and a son.
"So is she your girlfriend?" She asked him. "Not yet". He winked at me.
I rolled my eyes at him. "It's our first date, She loves reading very much so I brought her here". At that time Adam's phone rang.
"Ah, it's from the university I'll be back in a minute you guys talk". After he went Josette came near me.
"Amaika dear, it's been a long time, I'm seeing him like this happy. He's always moody and sad. You don't break him once again".
I can feel the empathy in her voice.
"I won't Josette". I held her hands.
"I want to ask you something," I said. She nodded.
"What happened to him?". She took a deep breath. "That's not my job to tell you, dear". "He will someday tell you everything" She smiled at me and patted my shoulder.
"Is she saying anything bad about me Amaika?". Adam asked.
"No no, she's not". I smiled assuringlingly to her.
"You go and take all the books you wan"t, I'll be there in a minute Adam said. I nodded.

Her words are revolving inside my head. "He'll tell you someday...."
I guess he will. I decided not to think about it and ruin my mood. I went to the romance section. I picked up the book Heart bones by Colleen Hoover.
Then I went to find Adam.
"What she's.. she's Aman's sister!". I heard Josetta's shocked voice.
"Have you told her anything?
"No, I don't have...I.. can't, After all these years it was the first time I had this feeling".
"The first time I saw her I don't know it was just love at first sight, I don't know what the heck Am I doing?". He said in a distressed voice.
"Oh my boy you're in love if you truly love her and she loves you back, she'll understand everything, don't worry".
I'm standing there shocked I don't know what's going on here and I don't want to know anything now so I went back to the shelf like I didn't hear anything. He'll tell me for time being. After some time Adam came back. "Hey", I said.
"I picked up two books from my genre and you have to pick one of your genres then we will swap books, okay".
"Mmm, that's kinda good," he said.
"Okay".
After that, we said bye to Josette and left.

It's 8 pm now.
"Let's have dinner at my favorite restaurant," he said. We tried each other's favourite food. "I have never gone to ride on the Subway," I said.
"Then let's take it," Adam said excitedly. It's a little bit crowded here but I liked it. Now we're walking through the night streets of New York City. I'm so happy today, I have never enjoyed it like this before, I ran like a mad girl in front of Adam. I can also hear his small laugh behind me. But it didn't last long. The sound of thunder rumbled. I have had astrophobia since my childhood. I stand there still. My legs are frozen.
"Amaika, Amaika". I can hear Adam's worried voice. But I was unable to respond. Again it rumbled I hugged him tightly. I started to cry. What happened? He asked.
"I'm .... I'm having astraphobia" I stammered. "It's okay I'm here with you, We will reach my place soon it's okay he comforted me.

After some time we reached his place. Now it's heavily raining and there's thunder and lightning too. He gave me the guest bedroom. "Adam don't go. Stay with me please.... don't. Go. I clutched onto his sleeves.
"No no, I won't". He came and sat near me. I held his shirt tightly.
"Hey don't worry, go to sleep he said. I can feel his breath over my forehead. I looked up at his face. Our lips are now inches apart. I don't know from where this courage came from I crashed my lips to his. At first, he didn't respond to my kiss. Slowly he kissed me back, He shoved his tongue inside my mouth. Our tongues collided. She tastes so sweet. He's kissing me back passionately.
Oh. My. God, he's so good at this. "Ahhhh...."
Suddenly the thunder rumbled again I pulled back from him. He looked at me.
"It's okay," he said.
"Amaika, I love you he said in all of a sudden.
I was shocked.
"I love you too".
We both are grasping for air. He laid beside me. The whole night we snuggled up to each other's warmth.....