Stormy Beginnings

"One for plum buns, two for snow, and three for bravery!"

With the morning sun streaming into her light-toned eyes, Themellia begins her routine briskly, delivering parcels to the villagers.

Indeed, you assumed it right. Her occupation is a courier!

"Another day begins! Time to don my loafers and my trusty basket. Ah, my favorite flowery hat mustn't be forgotten! And a quick grab for a plum bun from the windowsill — the aroma of the freshly baked treats is irresistible. Yet, with a hint of sadness, it's time to bid my home a brief farewell."

With Themellia gently petting her enchanted companions, she swiftly made her way down the rocky path that led to the main road toward the capital.

"My only safe place...."  

Perched atop the Northern mountains, an unusual summons draws me down to the heart of the world, known as Astray. Truthfully, I've never quite grasped the kingdom's appeal. They speak of it brimming with youthful energy and fervor, yet to me, it looms as a realm fit only for the powerful. I, more than most, know the peril of a girl like me, utterly defenseless in a world filled with ruthless souls. My only hope for survival rests in staying unseen, embracing silence, nearly blending into the shadows of existence.

Certainly, certainly.

Despite Themellia's habitual tendency to speak ill of herself, the children in the village where she found herself one winter evening regarded her as a remarkable hero.

"Themellia!" 

"Oh, Atti! You've grown so much already..." Setting her basket aside in a hurry, she rushed over for a warm hug, which the child proudly returned.

"It's all thanks to Themellia! She brings us yummy candies every single week!"

"How glad I am..." 

As Themellia traverses the forest where the humble academy resides, she never fails to exchange greetings with the eager children. Rising promptly at a designated hour, they anticipate her arrival, driven by both their affection for her and the excitement stirred by the delightful treats she brings.

"Oh, my dear Themellia! How lovely to see you. Off to Astray once more?"

"Professor Agnes! As is the case nearly every day..." 

"You've adapted well to this life, darling."

"It's all thanks to your guidance," Themellia acknowledged with a bow as the lecturer briskly made their way to the front porch.

"I must go, but, this is for my sweet little brother."  Delving into her dishevelled pocket, she retrieved a neatly wrapped candy and placed it delicately into the cheerful boy's hand.

"Thank you so much, Themellia!" The little boy erupted into a jubilant dance, his excitement palpable.

"Please, hold still while you enjoy your candy, Atti! Goodbye, Miss Agnes!"

"Don't worry, dear. I'll take care of him! You go on your way!"

With a final breath, Themellia released a humble giggle, twirling around the signpost that marked the end of her modest home, Westmount, and the start of the challenging realm, Astray, which she harboured deep disdain for.

"I wish, I could walk faster..." Approaching the bustling crowd, her heart thumps with increasing intensity.

"Just continue looking down, looking down." Themellia continues to command herself repeatedly, cold sweat enveloping her skin, each step forward causing a noticeable tremor.