Torn Loafers

The next morning began with the briskness of dawn, as Themellia sleepily attended to brushing out the banquet attire. "Yesterday must have been a dream... just a silly dream!" she reassured herself, her embarrassment evident in her thoughts.

"Oh, Themellia! Come here." As she arrived at the entrance hall, Lilliana promptly beckoned her over, gesturing for her to line up politely beside her.

"The reason I've gathered most of the servants is because of the upcoming ball," Sir Luis declared from the top of the staircase, addressing the assembly in detail.

"What's all this commotion about?" Themellia whispered softly.

"Its for the Princess' debutante..." 

Out of nowhere, Themellia remembered the day she first encountered Penelope, leaving her slightly shivering.

"Is everything alright, my dear? Are you feeling cold?" Lilliana noted and quietly inquired from the midst of the crowd.

"No, I'm perfectly fine... Thank you," Themellia replied right away, offering a gentle smile.

"As you're likely aware, this event will be the most extravagant of all. Significant political figures will attend, so everything must proceed flawlessly," Luis addressed the attentive maids before continuing. "We cannot afford any mistakes. I will personally inspect each quarter myself. For now, you may return to your daily duties." As the crowd slowly dispersed, lively chatter began to fill the castle. From the royal kitchen to the Paladins' training grounds, everyone was filled with anticipation. In Themellia's case, the head maid was being stricter than ever, ensuring the subservient attendants scrubbed and polished more meticulously than usual. Since it was an exceptional occasion, as Sir Luis had stated, no area of the palace could be neglected, not even the most untouched segments.

"What a hassle... I'm already exhausted," one of the scullery maids exclaimed to the other.

"It's our first time helping with the preparations. Let's be patient. After all, we're the lowest-ranked servants," the other maid replied, trying to reassure her companion.

Themellia was nearby, hand-washing the curtains for the corridors, overhearing their conversation. "Yesterday... How will I ever face the Young Master again?" Lost in thought, she was bathed in sunlight, her eyes gleaming like pearls as it streamed through the regal windows. "I'll steer clear of the Princess... I won't be directly involved with the ball, so everything will be fine," she assured herself, swallowing her worries and refocusing on her assigned tasks. "Lovely!" Themellia exclaimed as she hung them back up, taking a step back to admire the vibrant look of the expansive curtains. "I'm glad... I wasn't sure if I could make it look so smooth, considering the size..." Themellia admitted, feeling a sense of accomplishment.

Suddenly, a couple of maids came rushing towards her. "Themellia, hurry! The head maid is asking for everyone!" 

"What?!" She gasped, quickly drying her hands before hurrying to follow them.

"All arrived?"

"Yes, madam!"

"Well then, please begin," the head maid signalled.

"As mentioned earlier, I am conducting thorough inspections of every area to ensure perfection. Please pay close attention as I identify any potential flaws," Sir Luis declared solemnly. Themellia and several others were assigned to the parlour and laundry section, the lowest-ranked area, prompting Sir Luis to focus his inspection there. Leading the way to the scullery, where noble garments awaited washing and drying, the head maid accompanied him, her expression revealing apprehension about the outcome. "Soap and scoops shouldn't be stored here," He  pointed out as his first observation. The head maid nodded politely in response, with the other servants following suit obediently.  He then examined the attires that were about to be collected, neatly displayed on mannequins. "Some of the lower skirts appear wrinkled. Ensure they are redone." Everyone nodded in acknowledgment once more. Sir Luis paused momentarily, likely to make notes in his logbook, before resuming his assessment for another hour. "We have concluded our inspection here. Thank you for your efforts. I anticipate seeing improvements during my next visit," He  added, smiling politely. With reciprocal bows exchanged, the maids promptly began rectifying any oversights.