Truths Beneath

"Oh dear, look who has just opened her eyes! Good morning..."  After several days of unconsciousness, Themellia finally awoke, her head swimming and her senses still reeling. With a bewildered expression, she inquired, "Just where am I?"

"You find yourself in chambers arranged by His Highness. I'm Lilliana, one of the nursery maids. Pleased to meet you..." She offered a gentle smile as she busied herself preparing a cup of hot tea.

"Huh? His Highness?!" Themellia exclaimed, her voice tinged with nervousness.

"Indeed. Do you not recall? It has been nearly a week since you were brought to the palace, your injuries severe. His Highness found you himself..." Finally, Lilliana ceased her restless movements and settled into a seat beside Themellia.

"I...I do actually..." Themellia's expression twisted into one of terror as she slowly wrapped her arms around herself.

"I've prepared a cup of elderflower tea for you, my dear. I hope it suits your taste!"

"Oh...Thank you." Themellia accepted the cup with care, all the while discreetly studying the woman who was showing such kindness to a stranger like herself.

"The physician will be here shortly. You needn't worry any longer; you are in good hands."

"Physician?"

"To assess your health condition..."

Feeling unsure of who to trust, Themellia anxiously nibbled her lip and sought refuge under the blanket, hoping to find safety from the unsettling uncertainty.

"Are you well, my dear?"

"Just a little bit tired..."

"Do let me know if you need anything..." With a gentle nod, Lilliana quietly closed the door, offering Themellia the solitude she appeared to desire.

"Why would His Highness go to such lengths for me?" Themellia pondered deeply, unable to fully comprehend his motives. "He saved me while I was falling too..." Memories of the past few weeks flooded back, leaving Themellia feeling utterly drained and exhausted. "The poor puppies...I couldn't help them at last." With the last vestiges of her strength, she approached the window, examining her surroundings with a newfound sense of calm. Accidentally catching sight of her reflection, she hurried to the nearest mirror, murmuring to herself, "Oh... How disgusting I look... My skin is marred with scars..." Her self-pity was abruptly interrupted by a series of knocks on the door. "May I come in?" a voice inquired from the other side. Startled, she frantically searched for additional items of clothing. "Just a moment!" she responded, her heart racing with terror at the thought of someone seeing her in such a state. "I'm sorry to keep you waiting..." 

To her surprise, the physician who entered the room appeared remarkably young. "How are you feeling?"

"Better...I'm pretty much all healed!" She brushed it off awkwardly.

"That's fortunate. May I examine your injuries?"

That's when the realization hit Themellia like a bolt of lightning: she was completely alone with this man. Helpless and vulnerable, she feared he could do as he pleased without anyone to protect her. "No, really, there's no need. I'm perfectly fine..." she asserted, taking a cautious step backward and bracing herself against the wall.

"I understand, but I still need to assess for myself, miss," the physician insisted, placing her in an uncomfortable position despite his good intentions. As he nonchalantly approached, Themellia racked her brain for ways to evade the situation, but the only escape that seemed viable was to scream. "I don't want it!"

"Oh, no... I shouldn't have... What will he do to me now?" she whispered, her heart pounding with fear. The physician appeared taken aback, puzzled by her persistence, as most would welcome treatment in this day and age. "Oh well," he acquiesced, unsure of what else to do.