Reset

I had to reset myself.

Councilor Kiramman took her place back on Piltover's council. They had moved into a neighboring building and decided not to rebuild the previous chambers. 

Caitlyn had kept me apprised of Jinx's condition over the months, but I couldn't bring myself to see Jinx. They had moved her to a mental facility under heavy sedation. Slowly over a few months  and copious medications later she was starting to regain some awareness, Powder was still in there a little maybe. Her delusions and hallucinations were fading. I didn't really want to care. But I was glad to know she was improving. There wasn't anything more I could do for her and I couldn't forgive the things she had done. So many died, traumatized, and were maimed at her and Silco's hands. The scars of their works still haunted Zaun and would haunt me forever.

There was a lot of work to be done in our cities. The sheriff had her work cut out for her. The council stayed true to their promises and Zaun split from Piltover. The cities were still reliant on one another for resources and infrastructure, and clean water. Slowly there was some more understanding from the top siders.  A small contingent began running the Undercity some were chem merchants some - like the Firelights- represented different parts and people of the city. Enforcers didn't have as big of a presence in Zaun now but they still were contracted to maintain peace there and between the cities. They were stretched thin at times which is why I was training new recruits and was sent out into the field occasionally. 

Caitlyn and I didn't see a whole lot of each other these days. Between everything happening it was a lot for both of us. I struggled not to get overwhelmed. I'd hit the bar several nights when Caitlyn was working late or just couldn't face her. I had a few nights of fights in a row there this week and she was pretty pissed at me. I decided to come straight home tonight instead right after training. I hated fighting with her. 

This is what we've been needing. Just to get away from it all for a little while. We had to carve out time for us. I've been so tightly wound. 'I've got to be there for her more.' I needed a release from all this angst that was building and she was it. I just kept ruminating on all of these things going on. It was hard to sleep. 

Damn what can I do? I think I must have looked like a wreck. But somehow she still seemed to love me despite it all. I slipped away to shower and get my head in a better place. There's not a lot of time to think each day when you're fighting you have to stay in the moment and focus on what's at hand or you get your ass handed to you. I was still getting used to working on a relationship - building something more than just little moments. I had to do better. 'I can do more.' Finally I was able to drift asleep.

Dawn came too early. Caitlyn was already awake as she came back to our room handing me a coffee. 

"I've been thinking..." Caitlyn paused a little choosing her words carefully. "Maybe we should pay Powder a visit."

I almost spit out my drink. "What?!"

"Hear me out Vi-"

"No I don't want anything to do with her. How can you even say her name?" I was not angry with Cait but hearing Powder made my skin go cold and my heart race. I could never call her that again. Why would Caitlyn out of everyone want to see her?

She placed a hand on my thigh. "Violet I can never forgive the things your sister has done. But she is obviously sick and her mind fractured. I think it may help you heal to see her. Maybe she has expertise to help us win this war..."

"Oh there it is, you want to use her?!"  I said looking down. I wasn't sure how to feel, angry, confused, sad? There was that guilt again too. I didn't want to fight Caitlyn anymore.

"Well maybe she could be useful in some way. But it may also be good for you to see her. I know you think of her... I've written to the warden and doctors. They all agree she's stable enough. Coherent and has been drawing up a lot of interesting blue prints and plans in her cell lately. I'd like to see what she has been working on. What she has to say."

I stayed there stunned for a while spat an "ugh" "why" "really?" Under my breathe got up and paced the room huffing.

"Fuck!" I finally let out. "I don't see how she could help in anyway Cait. That's the opposite of what she does, she's a J-" I stopped myself.

"I know this is difficult. But I really think there could be something there to help. What if Ekko came with us?" 

I stopped, "I don't know. I don't know if I can see her." I felt defeated and sat back down on the bed.

"We don't have to if you don't want to. I could just go myself." 

"Hell no! No... I'll stay with you. Whatever mind fuck that will be."

She paused to get dressed.

"Okay, right well let's go today and get it over with, I've already canceled trainings, everyone could use the day off.." she held my shoulder.

I nodded, "Hell of a day off." 

We got dressed slowly and in silence. Now I was really fucked. I couldn't think straight, mind jumping from every traumatic experience in my life. I finally just sat down. I couldn't do this. Caitlyn just looked at me. 

She came over and struggled jokingly trying to pick me up. Which helped the mood a little. We smiled and let out a little laugh. 

"I love you Vi. Nothing is going to change that. I hope you won't be cross with me for long."

I let out a sigh. "I couldn't be Cupcake... I just really don't like this idea of yours... Hey you think they can sedate me too?" I tried to laugh but was half serious. 

"Wise Ass." She teased shaking her head. "Let's go, I'll stay with you." 

"Oh do I get a police escort?" 

"Vi, ha, stop. It'll be alright. Ok?"

"Yeah..."