Darkness Part 2

Vi's POV

Could this be it? Could this be the death of us? Time stood still a little while the beast cried out. "You are all mine!" It seemed like a thousand voices all at once.

Ekko and Heimerdinger had been working on something for months but never shared what it was. I was hoping they had more up their sleeves. We didn't have anyone large enough to withstand a blow from this thing. Even with our shields and mage's we were weak.

We started throwing hextech weapons at it left and right. Flame throwers and Jinx's incinerators burned the ground around the Mother keeping the Void at bay. The Firelights continued their barrage from above but then Ekko and Heimerdinger joined us at the front. Heimerdinger had developed these rockets and some kind of repair bots with hextech. He went to work repairing weapons across the field and rockets launched every few seconds at the beast, they were small but they were relentless.

Ekko stepped up, his watch was different. His sword was now glowing as he threw out a burst. It moved defying physics bouncing threw smaller units to the main enemy with chilling accuracy. It flew back to Ekko and everything it touched slowed to a crawl. Definitely made our jobs easier. The Mother was now finally slowing and easier to hit. Jayce and others could now land their long range attacks. Sivir's cross blade bounced from enemy to enemy and back to her again. Kai'sa poisoned and slowed the limbs that kept writhing at us.

We had made forward progress. I was back to nearly touching the limbs on the giant lumbering beast. Shurima's fighters had far more sustainability and engaged along with Garen followed closely by Jayce and Myself. Mel stood with us with a handful of apprentices. We each carried a small vile of shimmer if the need arose. But each mage has great healing powers.

Renekton dashed and Nasus grew to nearly half the size of the Mother drawing her attention. While throwing as much as we could at her; out of the corner of my eye something flashed. Then leapt onto her back. It was that thing from Renata's facility that wolf-like beast latched on to her back and threw violently fast gashes with his claws. He then leapt away to pursue smaller targets below.

We were causing damage but not enough to tip the tide in our favor. One swing of a limb would knock most out and many did fall. This massive shielding -  like the children had - was nearly impenetrable. There were a few places - just at the joints - that seemed to be weaker. But even though she was constantly being slowed, she was still manipulating her shape and form. She inched closer to breaching the wall with one final strike. I looked back to see Caitlyn and the others escaping from the crumbling wall to the ground with us. They were ok, but now in a much more vulnerable position. I had to protect her and rushed in her direction.

Ekko noticed my attention splitting to them and he dashed our way. Keeping up his stunning attacks. He grabbed out his watch at the Mother's feet and shot up a flare. A signal?

He waited for her to inch closer then time stopped for a split second. She screeched and he fell back yards away from where he was just standing. His sword had drawn blood and there stood this once boy. Maybe again our savior. The mother honed in on him and I dashed - no the gauntlet reacted and almost flew towards him shielding a massive blow from her limbs as he recovered on the ground.

She turned back to her pursuit of the city. I helped Ekko up and he grinned. "Time to go," as he hopped on his hover board back to join the Firelights.

Caitlyn rushed to my side for a moment, "are you alright?" We almost said at the same time. A trail of blood, deep purple in hue followed behind the Mother where Ekko had struck her. We both nodded and pursued that soft spot. Now together again, it was just us against all of this, side by side.

I caught a few of my fighter's eyes and we honed in on the bleeding flesh from behind. One massive effort. Rapid strikes and then I reached up. Quickly I tore part of her limb clear off with both gauntlets at full power. To say she freaked out is an understatement. We retreated swiftly but now her attention was on me. Oh no what have I done? "Run!"

A flash. No a series of smaller explosions popped above and behind us. Pink and Blue of course. Thank you Powder. She had drawn the attention away from us. But where was she? I think that was the point. I grinned.

"I think you've had a bit too much to eat." Jinx's voice cackled through the air at The Mother.

A series of rockets launched from far back inside Piltover. They flew right at the Mother and Ekko jumped up again along with other hextech weapons stunning her in place. A dozen impacted her. Some hit friendly units in collateral that hadn't noticed them incoming. Ambessa shouted for them to fall back. Another barrage launched this time closer to the Mother. Aimed closer at her limbs. And one in particular had that familiar glow and incinerating effect we had seen before. The mother fell catching herself to one side. Now we could see her eyes, hundreds of them searching the city for this threat.

Caitlyn pointed out that she had retracted her shielding from her face and now the Mother's eyes were vulnerable. Each marksman with us focused firing into the eyes. And others across the field noticed. It was working, soon she was blinded and screeched out.

Finally Jinx walked into view she was holding her rocket launcher. Armed it and sneered.

"This is my city Bitch! Only I can fuck it up." Her eyes glowed red. But she held her shot.

She turned and winked at me. She was too close to her. We've seen the damage her rocket can do and if she had made any improvements- "No!" I yelled to her but it was of no use.

Ekko swept one last time-stopping blow at the remainder of the Mother's limbs. And she fell to her belly. Then he fell near my feet.

Jinx screamed out launching her rocket at the center of the beast. Everything illuminated surrounding us. I could barely make out her silhouette. I could hardly see. Instinctively shielding us again; the impact was tremendous. Debris and blood flew in every direction. Jinx lay several yards back from where she was standing. There wasn't any movement or sound. Stillness filled the air as the smoke cleared from the blast. The thick purple and black smoke began to retreat and the towering Mother lay completely still in a heap of death just at the wall of Piltover.

I rushed to Jinx, "Powder!" I cried. Kneeling down beside her. I took off my gauntlets and held her close. She smiled at me one last time. Then she was gone.

I grabbed the vile of shimmer I had kept and tried to give it her but there was no way for her to consume it. Caitlyn grabbed my shoulder stopping me. "She's gone Vi." I shook my head no. And just sobbed. Caitlyn held me tight.

The war scene slowly disappeared around us. Looking at Powder's face I could remember the small innocent girl she used to be. I wept for my sister. This time she had left me.