Samir

In his dreams, Samir's father was still alive. Samir had gotten his revenge. He became a madman, searching and searching. He didn't know what, or who, he was searching for, only that he continued on. He walked through town after town, his ankle breaking with every step. All he knew was that he had to finish his search. He had to. He had to. He had to.

When Samir woke, the sun was just beginning to creep above the horizon. His nose was cold to the touch, and the smell of fish still lingered in the air. The Anabi Desert did not bother to cool when the sun disappeared, and it was a new, strange feeling. Samir found he rather liked the shiver that ran down his back.

It's beautiful out. he thought.

"It'd be prettier if I had something to eat." she returned, oblivious as to who she was talking to.
He heard a rustle and sat up, expecting to see Amara running about their makeshift campsite. Instead, he saw a monstrous brown beast. It walked on four legs, and was covered from head to paw with thick fur. The animal had a long snout that was sniffing the remains of the fire. When it reached the bowl, it devoured what was left, licking it clean. He had seen creatures similar to it on his journey to the top of Terra Mons, but those animals had been half the size, and howled when the moon was full.

The creature turned towards him. It had large brown eyes that could have been kind, if they weren't filled with hunger and rage. At that moment, the creature's eyes were more frightening than the tunnels.

Samir screamed.

Another sound came from the woods as the creature charged at Samir, teeth bared and eyes full of hate. It clawed him, and he reached his hand to his shoulder as blood began to pour. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a blurry figure hit its side. The beast fell back, crying out in pain. Amara stood next to it. Her face was painted with anger and her eyes were focused on the beast's face. She lunged again, this time stabbing it's neck. It threw its paw at her, drawing streaks of blood across her face and collarbone. She cried out in pain and jumped at the creature. She slammed her knife against its eye.

Although they only fought for a few minutes, Samir felt as if it was hours. Amara and the bear both had deep cuts and slashes against their skin. Amara's breathing was short and strained, and the monster appeared to be getting worn out. Their movements slowed as the fight wore on, however, neither surrendered.

"What's he doing just sitting there like a rock? He can help!" he heard her say in his mind.

His ankle is broken.

"So? He walked twenty miles on that leg. Thirty seconds won't hurt."

It will.

"Then we'll both die."

Listening to her, he grabbed a large stone next to him and threw it at the beast. It looked at him and paused for a moment. In that second of hesitation, Amara shoved the knife through its skull and the creature fell over, dead.

She stared at the beast for a few moments before turning to Samir. A cool breeze blew through the trees, and he shivered.

"I killed it." She said. Her hands were stained red and she clutched her injured shoulder. A smile creeped onto her face. "I killed it!" Amara repeated, elation in her voice.

Horrified, Samir asked, "What was that thing?"

"A bear. Surely you took the time to learn about our wildlife before you arrived, little emperor?"

He's taller than you, he's not little.

"I'm referring to his mental capacity." she replied, humor in her thoughts.