Samir

Ennovy snapped her fingers, and three identical chairs appeared next to her table.

"Listen carefully, my dears. I will only tell this story once." Another mug of tea appeared, and she began. "Long ago, before the four nations were created, the spirits of Terra Mons watched over the world. Now, you must remember, the world was very different then, and Terra Mons sat in the middle of the plains. We would walk across the world, giving gifts to those who showed kindness or bravery.

"Then, a great flood came from the north and created the Cari Sea. It swallowed up the plains, and left devastation and death in its wake. Only Terra Mons was tall enough to survive, and so the spirits moved there. We waited for generations, but no one came to receive our gifts. A few hundred years passed before someone managed to climb the steep cliffs of our cove, and up the icy slopes to our home. When he did, we were overwhelmed by his arrival. We threw the grandest of parties, and held lavish feasts every night. Oh, it was wonderful! If only you could have been there, you would have loved it, my dears."

Samir shifted around in his chair, wondering if the spirit knew them, or knew of them, before they came to the maze. The woman continued on, and if she noticed his discomfort, she ignored it.

"My dearest sister, Yvonne, gave him the gift of immortality. She hoped that he would tell the world of our home, and he did! It wasn't until later that the four nations were founded, and he put himself in charge. At the time, he was a kind and just ruler, who gave the people extraordinary say in their government. Every couple decades he would stage his death, live with us for a stretch, and then return to rule. On one such occasion, he stayed long enough for me to fall in love with him. Or, rather, I believed I was. Only in hindsight can I see the error of my ways. He was a dear soul, but he wanted complete power. The spirits were forbidden to give him more than one gift, for we knew the effects would be catastrophic.

"But, like a mortal girl, love drove me to decisions I shouldn't have made. When he asked, or rather, begged for me to give him another, I granted his wish. And to add to it, I gave him perhaps the most powerful of all."

She paused for dramatic effect and looked at them. Samir rolled his eyes. "What did you give him?"

"I gave him the power to control others. 'Twas a foolish choice, one I shall regret for the rest of my days. Later, I learned that he had used me. Me! Of all people! Once my fellow spirits learned of what I had done, they exiled me here to this maze. It is not bad here, it is in fact quite pleasant, but it is lonely. No one comes through here anymore, and I sit here all day, drinking tea and telling stories to the wind."

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Amara fidgeting with the hem of her sleeve. "Do you know what happened to the man?"

"I believe he was also cursed. The spirits couldn't take his gift back, but they made him suffer every time he uses it. To make matters worse for him, they promised that one day, the true Queen of Farren would kill him. Ha! I hope you are the one. Though, perhaps your dear sister will."

Samir stood up and said, "Thank you spirit Ennovy, for telling us your story, but we must be on our way. I know the man you speak of, and we will carry out your wish.."

Ennovy, who had real tears in her eyes, floated over to Samir, and gave him a hug. "I know you will do great things." She whispered in his ear, then turned to Kiari. "Have you chosen which queen you will aid? The choice is yours, but I'm afraid the time has come for you to choose your loyalties."

Amara glared at Kiari. "What do you mean? She's been helping us!"

"Are you sure about that, my dear?"

Amara stumbled over her words, but all at once, it clicked in Samir's mind.

She never told you the name of which queen she was aiding. She doesn't know what she wants.