Amara

Amara's mind wandered to her parents and Ophelia. Ophelia, who wasn't ten years old, yet was already running for her life. Her mother, who was a shell of a person with no memory or sense of self. She didn't mind her father being gone. He had never tried to teach her about diplomacy, and he'd never been there for her when she needed him. After her mother took a turn for the worst, Amara's father had detached from reality. She didn't know whether to hate him or pity him. Either way, if he wasn't going to help her she was glad he was gone.

Amara led Samir down a staircase. She turned left at the statue of the first Farren king, and down another flight of stairs towards the gardens. The clouds blocked out the sun, but in an odd way Amara was relieved that the weather was poor. If the sun had been shining, she would have felt obligated to be optimistic, despite her circumstances.

"Gardens, again?" Samir asked in head. "Nothing good can happen there."

It's the best way to the ballroom without being seen.

When they stepped outside, a biting wind blew. Amara hugged her arms close to her chest. Her dress was still warm from the steam, but the linen was thin, and she shivered in the cold. A snowflake drifted down from the gray sky and landed on the marble terrace. Next to her, Samir stared at the falling snow with wonder. It occurred to her that, growing up in Basam, he had never seen snow before.

Kiari seemed undeterred by the cold, and she pushed ahead. Amara jogged to match her pace, and hoped Kiari knew the way.

The courtyard was one of the smaller entrances to the maze. The main entrance, on the opposite side of the castle, was grander than the one here. That entrance was made entirely of gold, and had hundreds of flowers blooming around it. This entrance was a small iron gate that creaked when Amara opened it.

Despite a lack of trees, apple blossoms grew along the hedges, and daisies grew wherever their feet touched the ground. It felt like winter had touched all of the world except for this small patch of land.

She sensed Samir's confusion and explained, "Legend says that the land under the maze was blessed with water from Terra Mons."

"How did enough water get here, then?" Kiari demanded. "Unless it's given as a gift, the spirits only let those who were able to reach the peak take a sip. It's not possible."

"That's part of the mystery. Some people believe a great hero sacrificed themselves to save the land from drought. Others believe it only took one drop, and that it was a gift to the first king of Farren."

"What do you believe?" Samir asked.

"I don't know. Maybe it was a hero or a gift, but it could've been anything, really." Amara shrugged. "I like to think a Monian spirit gave their life for the land, and it lives on through this maze. I believe that's why it changes all the time. The spirit likes to mess with us."

"Or they want us to get lost."

"Isn't that what I just said?"

Samir shook his head. "Which way?"

Amara turned left, though she had no idea if she was going the right way. As they traveled through the labyrinth, she tried to keep the main castle in front of them. Because of the flowers that bloomed at their feet, Samir and Amara knew that they weren't walking in circles, but they were making slow progress.

"Should we keep one hand on the wall?" Kiari suggested.

"I thought about that, but I'm not sure if it would work."

"Why not? That's what most people do." Samir pointed out.

"It won't help." she said. "The maze will change, and we'll still be lost."

"What if we walked on top of the hedges?"

"Will they hold us?"

He shrugged. "Let's find out." Samir knelt down and held his hands out like a step. Amara pushed off, and grabbed the nearest branch. Twigs scratched her face, but she found a spot to place her foot, and climbed to the top. The bushes sank beneath her weight, and she tried to ignore the branches that scraped her ankles with every step. Now that Amara was higher, she could see everything. The balcony was empty, but she could hear loud voices coming from the ballroom.

They had made it a little less than halfway on their own, but that had taken the three of them hours, and the sun was beginning to set.

She looked down to see Kiari trying to join her, but the hedges wouldn't hold her. "Go on,'" she said.

"I'm not leaving you two!" Amara sighed, exasperated.

"I hope not. Tell us where to go, we'll follow you."

She nodded and began to walk atop the hedges. It was slow, and her ankles were bloody after a few turns. Still, they moved faster than before.

The clouds had covered the sky like a blanket, and a calm breeze blew through her hair.
A light drizzle began to fall, and she wondered if it was snowing outside the confines of the maze. Amara knew it must have been cold near the castle, but she was sweating through her linen dress.

One hour turned into two, and before long, they approached a clearing. A lattice fence ran along the outer edge. A fountain bubbled behind a pure white gazebo, and azaleas bloomed all throughout the lawn.

In the gazebo, a young woman was laid back in a chair, drinking tea. The edges of her silhouette seemed to melt into the background, as if she were not a girl, but an illusion. When she saw the three, she turned to greet them, and her face was surrounded by a pale blue light.

"Good morning, my dears.¨ the woman said in a dreamlike voice. ¨Have you come to take me home?"

Amara and Samir exchanged confused glances. "No, we haven't. My friends and I were just passing through." Samir replied.

"Hardly anyone comes to see me anymore. They stay in the castle, never bothering to rescue me."

"Rescue you from what?" Amara asked, trying her best to be polite.

The woman clutched a hand to her heart and gasped. "Does your mother not warn you of he who comes at night to take your heart and soul?"

Amara shook her head. Now, the woman dropped her teacup on the stone floor. It broke without a sound, and the shards disappeared. The cup reappeared, still filled with her drink.

"He is who sent me here for eternity. He is the one who tricked me! Oh, and I thought it was love." She sighed, but it was not so much a sigh as a song; a sad song that drifted through the air like a bird.

"Would you tell us the way to the castle?" Kiari asked. "We're in a bit of a rush."

"Oh, to be young again! To rush about, always trying to prevent one catastrophe or another. Tell me, darling, what is it you simply must attend to. Surely it can't be more important than me!"

Samir scratched the back of his neck. "With all due respect madam, who are you?"

Now the woman looked truly aghast. "I have been many people over the years. As for my name, I am called Ennovy. It is the name I have carried with me for centuries, however, it has never felt quite right. Now who, may I ask, are you?"

"I am the Queen of Farren, Amara Niran."

"A second queen? I've never heard of that." She asked. raising her cup as if she were making a toast, "And you?"

"Kiari of Massaponai."

The woman gave her a knowing look. "You're an interesting person, Kiari of Massaponai. I can't wait to see how your tale plays out. How wonderful it could be! Or perhaps it will end in tragedy. We might never know." Ennovy sighed and turned to Samir. "And who could this young man be?"

"Uh, Samir Balil. Pleasure to meet you."

Not going to introduce yourself as emperor?

"Does it matter?"

Ennovy raised her eyebrows. "Emperor? But you are so young. What business do you have running a country?" Both Samir and Amara jumped back with shock, but Ennovy only laughed. "Never had someone who could hear you? Not even atop Terra Mons?"

"I'm afraid not, madam." Samir answered. Amara could tell he was trying to hide his shock, but he failed to do so. Next to her, Kiari looked between them, trying to figure out what Samir and the woman were talking about.

"Do not be afraid of me, child. Only spirits can hear your thoughts"

"You're a spirit?" Amara asked.

"How else would I have lived for thousands of years? Come, sit, and I will tell you my story." she said.