Samir

Samir left her alone for the rest of the night. He found a spare room and tried to rest, but he couldn't shake the guilt. Even though he did it for the right reasons, Samir had known it was wrong.  He was wrong. Why should he expect Amara to forgive him?

His mind played out different scenarios, how he could have broken the news to her, or ways he could have avoided using his kouzlo altogether. Part of him wished she had never found out, but she would've anyway.

Maybe it's better this way, he thought to himself, at least she knows now, and not when our lives are on the line.

"What if I kill you?" she had thought earlier. He knew that what she had said was out of anger, but he couldn't forget what she had said to him. In truth, he didn't know what would happen to them if one died, but he prefered not to think about it.

Samir knew he wouldn't be able to sleep that night. Instead, he stared at the ceiling until the sun began to climb up over the horizon.

The kitchen was empty when he went to get breakfast. Instead of trying to bake something, he took a stale pastry off of the display shelf. Amara came in soon after he finished eating.  She didn't say anything, but if looks could kill, Samir would have died right then and there.

"Would you like something?" he asked, although his voice came out a few octaves too high.

She ignored him and grabbed a muffin. Amara marched over to the window seat, turned her back to him, and stared out into the street.

"Good morning to you, too."

"Go jump in the river." she snapped.

"Would you like some tea?"

"I want privacy."

"I told you, I can't read your mind." Samir sighed. "It's like talking, you have a choice."

She laughed. "Don't lie to me Samir, I didn't have a choice."

"You should know better than anyone that I'm telling the truth."

"Words can lie, even if they're the truth." Amara said.

"You're right." Samir replied. "I was wrong. Please, just accept my apology. We have other issues to deal with."

She sighed and folded her arms across her chest. "Fine, but if you ever read my mind again, I will kill you."

"Okay. As long as you don't read mine" he said.

She nodded and got a glass of water. "What now, little emperor?"

He ignored the taunt. "We need to get to the castle. You need to get to Eira."

"Great idea! Let's go talk to the person that wants me dead."

"What do you propose we do?" Samir said as he threw his hands in the air.

"I don't know! Maybe try to find out where everyone went?"

Just then, a bell chimed as a young woman came into the bakery. For a moment, Samir thought it was the healer, Ka'kwet. They had the same dark skin and they wore similar deerskin dresses, but this woman wore beads around her neck, and bracelets climbed up her arms. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Amara grab her dagger off of the table.

"Who are you?" Amara demanded. She held her dagger in front of her, warning the woman.

In response, she put her hands up. "I am Kiari, werowansqua of Nibí."

Samir tried not to let his surprise show. She was the leader of Massaponai's largest province. He couldn't think of a reason why she would be in Amberford, until he remembered what Ka'kwet had said to him in the tunnel. Your country will survive without the jungle, ours will not.

"Why are you here?" she asked. Samir could see Amara's knuckles turn white around her weapon.

"Please, Queen Amara." Kiari begged. "My country is in terrible danger."

"How do you know my name?"

"News of your coronation spread like wildfire. Your portrait has been in every paper." she said, "Please, help my country. You're our only hope."

Samir looked over at Amara, but she was focused on the woman. "Why should I help you? Your spy attacked the Basami emperor."

"Ka'kwet is not a spy. She was tasked with finding you and watching out for you."

"Truth."

I thought we weren't doing this anymore. he thought.

"I suppose it has its uses."

Samir tried not to roll his eyes. "Then why did she try to kill me?"

"Many in Massaponai believe that Basam is to blame for our hardships. I can only assume Ka'kwet was one of them." Amara glared at her, but Kiari didn't seem to notice. "Bek has invaded our jungle."

"I'm aware."

"They take more every day. Their factories have poisoned the Matto river, and our crops are failing. The Bekkans have forced our people out of the lands we have lived on for thousands of years. If we don't stop them, our country will die."

"Why should I help you?"

"Bek has already taken political control from your government. If they had Massaponai, Bek would invade Farren. Basam would have no chance." Kiari took a deep breath. "Massaponai is prepared to help you regain the throne, so long as you assist us in turn."

"She's telling the truth."

Loopholes?

"What does that entail?" Amara asked.

"We want your troops to help us send the Bekkans back to the mountains."

"And if Bek invades Farren?"

"It will be considered an attack on Massaponai."   

Amara nodded and held out her hand. Kiari took it, and they shook. "Samir, go find a pen and paper." she told him in a voice he dared not ignore. Samir looked through the countless drawers and cabinets in the kitchen until he found an old piece of parchment and a quill.

"Will this do?"

In response, Amara took the parchment and began to write the agreement down. When she was done, both women signed the paper.

"It is a deal."

The woman stood up. "Stay here. We will send scouts ahead. In two days, if you have not heard from us, assume the worst." She opened the door and said over her shoulder, "And please, whatever you do, do not leave."

The bell chimed again as Kiari left.