Samir

His first instinct was to run. Samir reached for Amara's wrist, but she pulled away and fell to her knees. He could see the tears gathering in the corners of her eyes, but she wiped them away.

"She was-"

"I know," he said, "I know." Then, he heard a rustle from across the room, and pulled her up. "We need to leave."

"No, I can't. We have to-"

"We need to leave, now." He repeated. Samir heard a dagger whistle past his ear and hit the marble wall behind him. When he turned around, no one was there. Another knife flew, this time it nicked his ear.

"I don't have to miss." a familiar voice called out. Bahar.

"Where are you, little sister?" Samir asked. Amara grabbed one of the fallen knives, and they stood side by side, ready to fight. In response, a third dagger hit him in the arm. He grimaced in pain, and tried to ignore the sticky blood pouring onto his hand.

"You're quite the emperor, Samir." Bahar taunted. Her voice was coming from the opposite end of the room, and he could see where her feet were on the carpet.

Don't follow me. he told Amara silently. He lunged for his sister, and plunged the dagger where he believed her leg to be. She howled in pain, and flickered into view. Bahar fell to the ground, now visible, and yelled curses at Samir as she clutched her wound.

Now, Samir understood Amara's reluctance to harm Eira. "I'm sorry, Bahar."

"You're sorry?" she screamed. "You killed Father! You're the reason he's dead, and you don't even care!"

"What? I was in the gardens! You know this!"

With what little strength she had left, Bahar slapped him across the face. "You know what happened. You shoved him in front of the queen to save her." She reached for a knife, but Samir pulled it away. "She-" Bahar snarled and pointed to Amara, "may have been the one to throw the knife, but you killed our father. All so you could be emperor a few months earlier."

"That's not what happened!" Amara yelled.

Samir shot her a warning glare. Remember William Bates.

Amara took a deep breath. "Bahar, I don't know what you've been told, but I can promise that I never intended for your father to be harmed."

"You're not the one who shoved him in the way!" Bahar screeched. Amara took a tentative step forward and sat next to Bahar on the bed.

"He-"

"Get away from me! I should have known not to go after you two on my own. Your kouzlo will change me! Don't think I don't know your plans! You two were going to kill Eira, and then me, but I suppose it will be the other way around, now that you trapped me!" She struggled against Samir, but he held her still. Bahar swore and kicked, trying to escape. The pain in his arm was blinding, but he somehow managed to hold her down.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Amara raise her dagger.

Don't you dare. He warned her. Instead of harming his sister, however, Amara reached for the sheets. She made a neat slash across, and held up a long strip of cloth. She wrapped it around Bahar's cut and tied it together.

"We're not here to hurt you," she told her in a calm voice. Samir saw the terror and panic leave Bahar's eyes.

"I don't care."

"Bahar, listen to me," Samir said, "William Bates is the one controlling you, not us."

"You liar! William Bates is the best thing that ever happened to our countries. He told us about your kouzlo, and how you planned to attack me. He was right!"

Out of ideas, Samir looked at Amara. She turned to Bahar and said, "If we were controlling you, wouldn't we force you to believe us?"

"Come on, Bahar. You have to listen to reason."

"Your 'reason' is boring!" she said as she threw herself at Amara and wrapped her hands around her throat. Samir tried to grab her, but he was shot back by something—or someone— he couldn't see. He hit the back wall and slumped to the floor, a headache already coming. "Prime Minister!" Bahar yelled, "I have her! She's over here!"

Moments later, William Bates swung open the doors. Samir noticed that he was thinner than he had been at Amara's coronation, his face just as sickly-looking. "Eira, dear," he said, "Come meet our guests." His voice was calmer than Samir would have expected, but he could hear the malice behind Bates's words.

Eira emerged from behind the wardrobe, and with a flick of her wrist, she forced Samir to his knees. He tried to stand, but it was as if he couldn't control his limbs. Samir had never met Eira before, and he was surprised to see that she looked almost identical to Amara. They had the same brown hair and brown eyes, but where Amara was strong, Eira was angry. It showed both in their expressions, and the way they carried themselves.

"Hello, dearest sister," she said. Her voice was nasally and confident, a combination Samir could not stand. She continued, "I thought I was done with you." Eira raised her hand over her head, ready to strike. As she did, her kouzlo faltered, and Samir gathered enough strength to jump up and shove the knife into her side. She dodged, and slammed him against the wall again. Now his head was pounding, but he tried again. This time, WIlliam Bates grabbed his wrists and pulled him out of the room.

"Don't worry about your little friend. She's in good hands."

"You lying son of-"

"Now, Samir, let's not be rash." Samir felt Bates's curse fall over him like a blanket. It wasn't painful or invasive. Instead, it felt like lying down after a long day, knowing that someone else will take care of you. Samir knew he should be doing something, but he couldn't remember. All he could think about was that he never wanted the feeling to leave.

"Where are you?" he heard Amara's voice in his head. His memories came flooding back to him. His mind cleared, and he was able to remember what he had to do.

Keep talking. he replied. Or thinking, or whatever.