chapter 5

Today, Lillian was supposed to resume work. She had been on a six months long work leave and most people at work were jealous of her when she was given this privilege, when it was only given to women on a maternity leave. But it was because of her boss Mr. Harrison.

She smiled to herself as she recalled what prompted that privilege. She remembered how shocked she was when Mr. Harrison said to her " Lillian I'm sending you on a six months work leave " she immediately replied after she got over the shock and said " but sir I'm certainly not going for a maternity leave I'm just getting married and who have you heard that had a 6 months long honeymoon after their wedding"?

He only smiled and said to her " Lillian my child I've told you not to call me sir but call me by my name.... Peter is that so hard, and  besides, you refused to take money from  me so  just take it as my wedding gift to both you and Richard ok".

She met Mr. Harrison through Mrs. peters the woman whom she referred to as mother now. Funny how their names were very similar to each other..... of course it was a bit weird to her at first but she got used to it in the end.  Her mother,  told her that Mr. Harrison was her classmate back in college and they were good friends as well which was why, when she finished her studies in Architecture, Mrs. peters made sure she got to do her internship at his company. At first Mr. Harrison was a bit skeptical about her capabilities, but after her internship he insisted on retaining her and said to her " I can't let another company snatch such brains from me" and since then they have become not only boss and employee, but good friends as well.

yes some people would say that she was privileged and that it was preferential treatment as well but between her, Anita as well as Mr. Harrison knew that she worked hard for whatever positioned she earned. From a very young age, she had always been very good at drawing but she soon took a very detailed interest in building and how coming up with plans for them was as challenging as it was exciting.

As Lillian step Into the lobby of ' THE HARRISON BUILDERS' she breathed in and said " wow it's so good to be back". While still looking around to see if there were any changes while she was gone, she heard Anita say " well isn't it the famous Mrs. Wilson, how have you been"? Lillian turned around and saw Anita stepping out of another  elevator and into the lobby and said to her " please Anita just call me Lillian at work okay So..... did you miss me"? Anita only scoffed, shook her head and said " Not at all ". While there were still on the conversation she could feel many eyes on her. After all, she had been on a work leave for six good months and some part of her was starting to regret staying away for so long... and she was starting to feel better already. Those that greeted her, said their hello's  and some walked past her and Anita and when they got to Mr. Harrison's office, she turned to Anita and said to her " let me go say hi to Mr. Harrison I will be right back okay ". Anita nodded and they both went their separate ways.

Hearing a knock on the door peter raised his head to ask who it was and was shocked to see that it was Lillian. He immediately got up and hugged her and said to her " I thought you were never going to come back I was expecting you yesterday you know. I had even planned a little welcome party ". And whispering the last part he said " just for you and me but then I had to cut and eat the cake alone" Lillian laughed and said to him" easy there peter one would think that the girl you asked on a date turned you down" and he smiled and said " I know you and Richard just got married and are still reeling from the marital bliss but work is also important right"?

"Is he back from his trip now?". He also asked before he sat down on his chair

Lillian just smiled and peter didn't notice that she had balled her fists behind her back and she said " well I'm back now so I will get back to work ok"? choosing the ignore the other question he asked her. After their discussion, she was about to step out of his office when Peter stopped her and said " Lillian my dear are you ok"?  Her throat worked a little before she smiled and said  "Of course Peter I'm fine any problem"?. He just shook his head and said " it's nothing just enjoy your day okay".

After Lillian left Peter immediately picked his cell phone and called her mother and in two rings she picked up " Hello Peter everything alright"? And Peter replied and said to her " Is everything alright with Richard and Lillian? She doesn't look all bright and sunny to me". And Mrs. peters replied and said " oh really? You know I've been out of London for about 5 months now I'm doing some volunteer work here in Africa but I will call her up and ask if everything is alright ok don't worry so much I'm sure all is well she is with Richard after all". They both said their goodbyes  and ended the call with peter whispering to himself "Is it that time of the month".

Meanwhile in Lillian's office she was seated behind her desk and trying to go through the numerous files that were on her desk she recalled what her assistant said to her and smiled. Her assistant had profusely welcomed her and told her how much she missed her and said to her

 " Your replacement found it so hard to cope with the amount of work you had to do and as soon as he heard you would resume this week he asked to be transferred back to his department". She said this while laughing. Lillian had always done her best to establish a good working relationship with everyone around her. Which is why her assistant felt so free around her. They sometimes, even had lunch together.

While she was still smiling to her she heard someone knock on her door so she raised her head and saw that it was Anita who was carrying two lunch packs with her. She smiled and said to her  "Did I miss lunch time again"? And Anita shook her head and sat down and said " you will never change Lillian you never take care of yourself. And also, what's wrong with Richard though I saw him at a bar two days ago and you and I know that he never goes to places  like that".

 Lillian averted her eyes from Anita for a short while  and looked at her and  said to her " He probably went to see someone. Enough about that what have you been up to"? Anita answers with the sandwich in her mouth and said " Nothing much just the usual I guess" but before she could say any other thing she got a phone call and stepped out and pepped through Lillian's door and said " it's urgent I will see you later".  And she was gone.

Authors note

Hi,

Please follow ,vote and comment for more I promise to make the next chapter much longer than this one🤪😜it's good to be back

# immamiten❤️💋