Chapter 6

Andy had to decide what to do.  Charlotte was getting louder and more inconsolable.  She had heard Maya over the radio talking to Charlotte and Andy understood why the little girl was so bonded to Maya and was searching for comfort from Carina. Andy had to somehow get Carina to understand.   Maybe it would help both of them. "Ok mija, I'll get Carina. You get sleep." Charlotte's crying slowly calmed down.  Firefighters don't lie.

Andy went downstairs and saw Carina and Jack on the curb.  he had finally got her out of the street.  Her eyes looked dead inside.  She was no longer crying.  She was just sitting there on the curb, next to Jack, lost in her grief and fear.  Jack looked hopeless.  He had never seen Carina like this, even after she lost Andrew.  But that's because she had Maya. Both Andy and Maya were worried about what would happen if Maya didn't survive.  They didn't think Carina would either. 

Andy walked over and sat on the curb. "Car.."

"Andy, shut up.  I don't want to hear about the sweet little orphan girl that my wife risked her life for.  I don't want to hear about any of it.  My wife is hanging on by a thread because of a drunk incompetent boss and her incessant need to save people.  I am so angry right now. I'm angry at Maya. I'm angry at you all.  I'm angry at the little girl.  I just want to sit here and wait for Maya to die." Carina didn't yell or scream.  She just spoke in a monotone voice, without any emotion.  It was as if she was dead inside.  

"Carina, you have to listen to me. Maya would want you to listen to me. If you love Maya, you will listen." Don't say anything, just listen." Carina slightly nodded her head.

"When Maya got to the second floor," Andy slowly began the story again. "she said in the radio- Jack there's too much smoke. I'm going to go to the ground.' She jumped to the ground and scooted down the hall slowly.  SFD call out', she repeated again and again. Finally we heard her say. 'I got her. I got her. I found the little girl.'  Jack responded that her name was Charlotte.  A neighbor had come over and told them that a girl named Charlotte lived in that house."

"Andy"

"Carina, I told you to listen. When Maya got to Charlotte, we could hear in Maya's voice that she was short of breath. So we assumed she gave her mask to the little girl. Things were going from bad to worse.  The fire seemed to be dissipating, but the house was not safe.  Jack said- 'Maya what do you need?' Right when he said that we heard a huge crash.  The ceiling was starting to go, from all the water, smoke and fire.  We waited in silence until we heard Maya's voice. " 

"I'm alive. Charlotte's alive.  I have her under me.  The roof caved in.  She's ok.  I'm not going to get out of here. Andy, tell Carina that I love her more than anything in this world and that she saved me. She taught me how to love. She showed me what love was. ' Andy could barely get the words out.  She looked over at Carina who was still looking dead ahead, the only difference was she had silent tears running down her face. "Maya continued, her voice getting weaker, 'Charlotte you stay under me until someone gets you out.  You stay alive no matter what. You are strong.  You survived the worst and you will get through this. While we wait I'm going to tell you about my favorite person in the whole world.  Carina makes everything better.  Her laugh lights up the whole room.  Her smile, Oh Charlotte, her smile can cure everything. You need Carina, because she won't have me and you need a ...' That was the last I heard Maya speak."

"So, you just let her up there, protecting that little girl with her life while you just stood down there safe and sound." Carina's voice was no longer lifeless. You could hear every bit of anger laced in each of the words. 

"No, Carina." Jack interrupted.  "Once the fire was down enough, I sent Hughes and Montgomery in.  They got to Maya, just as she stopped talking. I would have gone myself, sacrificed myself, but I was Captain because Becket fucked up again. I had to be in charge, I couldn't save her, but we did the best we could.  Carina we did the best we could with what we had. I couldn't save her, Carina.  I couldn't save her." By this time, Jack was sobbing. Carina realized that she was not the only one who had the potential of loosing Maya.  They all would, even little Charlotte.  She pulled Jack and Andy to her and the three of them cried together.