Chapter 15

It had been two weeks since Charlotte was taken from Carina and Maya.  Two weeks of working with Child Protective services to find out what they could do to get her back.  Two weeks of sleepless nights while Maya and Carina filled out paperwork, worried about whether or not they could handle taking in a 5-year-old.  Two weeks of Maya working to recover from her injuries.  Maya was finally out of the hospital and doing much better.  She would be able to start desk duty next week which made Carina very happy.  Maya was not a good sick person and was driving her crazy.  

"Babe, where are my..oh here they are." Maya was rushing around trying to get ready for work.  This was not like her.  She never rushed, as she was always early and prepared, but she was so nervous. Maya was nervous about everything lately.  "Babe, do you have my" as Maya was saying this, Carina held out her shoes.  Carina was chuckling to herself as she watched Maya run around the house.  In all their years together, she had never seen Maya like this.  Carina was the one who was usually rushing around while Maya waited, not so patiently by the door. 

 Although it was humorous, Carina was worried that Maya would begin to spiral out. "Maya, come here." Maya ignored her as she was scurrying around the kitchen making her smoothie. "Maya! Stop! Bambina!" Maya was surprised Carina was yelling and stopped and looked at her.  "What, Carina?" Carina tried to look seriously at her wife who was on the verge of losing it.  "Maya come here. Bambina, breathe with me." Maya shuffled over to Carina and slowed her breathing and tried to calm down. "We are going to get our girl, Maya. I promise."

Maya was amazed that Carina always knew what was in her mind no matter what.  It's like Carina could read her mind.  They were going to meet with the social worker and if everything was in order, they were going to pick up Charlotte after work today and Maya was in a tailspin about it.  "What if we don't get her? What if she's happy in her new home? What if she forgot us? What ..." Carina just held on tight to Maya and soothed her rubbing her head until she calmed her breathing.

" Maya, none of those things are going to happen.  She is not going to love her group home more than being with us.  She did not forget us, and she wants to be with us. I promise you, my love." Carina and Maya held each other for a little linger and then Carina straightened up. "Let's get you off to work." Maya was so excited to get to station.  She had been away way to long.  She was not looking forward to seeing Beckett, who surprisingly was still there while they investigated the situation.  He was not Captain at this time, while waiting for investigation.  They had called in some battalion chief to step in while everything was figured out.  "This is going to be a shit show."  Maya said as they walked to the car.  Carina just laughed, held Maya's hand and squeezed it. 

Carina went to the station after maya's shift.  They had texted throughout the day, and she knew Maya was tired.  She wished that this wasn't happening tonight, but they were soon to be parents of a young girl and then of a young girl and a newborn.  They should get used to being tired.  When Carina walked into the station, she was shocked to see Maya.  She looked horrible, pale and exhausted.  "Bambina" Carina walked over to maya and just led her to the car making sure to pick up her bag as they left.  Maya had bever felt this exhausted.  She couldn't believe that one day of desk duty had taken her down like this. Carina had warned her, but she didn't believe her. 

"Sleep bambina, sleep till we get there." Carina put on some soft music and drove quietly the 30 minutes to the social workers office.  She knew this was going to happen.  Maya was ready to go back to work, but it was going to be a long recovery to get her stamina and muscle mass back.  She hated to see her strong wife look so beaten down and fragile.  She had gotten a text from Andy that the new captain was little better than Beckett and had it out for Maya. When they finally got to the Child Protective Offices, she slowly woke Maya up. "Are you ready?"