Chapter 16

Maya and Carina were in bed that night, both terrified they had lost Charlotte.  They couldn't believe what had transpired earlier that night.  

They had arrived at the Social Workers office in silence as Maya was still sound asleep.  Carina quietly leaned over and woke her wife up.  Maya, at first a little confused, blinked a few times and realized where they were.  Carina watched as panic set in her body. "We got this, bambina." Carina walked over and held Maya's hand as they walked to the office.  

They sat down in the social workers Office, tightly grasping to each other's hands.  They had to believe something would go right for them and for Charlotte.  The Social Worker smiled at them and said that she had good news and bad news.  Maya quietly uttered, "shit, what now?"

"The good news is that you are cleared as emergency fosters for Charlotte.  All paperwork is filed, background checks are cleared, everything is good to go." 

Maya and Carina looked at each other with very confused, but happy, looks on their faces and then at the Social Worker.  "I don't get it" Carina chuckled.  "What could be bad?  This is literally what we have been dreaming and working towards."

"Charlotte is refusing to talk to you. I couldn't get her to the office.  She is refusing to talk to you or meet with you.  Her exact words were- Hell no.  I'm not going home with them. I don't even want to see them."

Maya and Carina couldn't believe what they were hearing.  How could this be?  Charlotte had been screaming to be with them.  She was so attached to Maya.  They couldn't figure it out. Maya was angry, to cover her fear that she wouldn't get her daughter. "Why the hell not?" Maya angrily got up. "She doesn't want us anymore. What the Fuck."

Carina calmy held on to Maya's shoulders, even though she was feeling the same fear.  She knew she had to calm Maya down.  "Bambina, the hard part is over.  We can get through to her.  I promise you.  You were right.  She is our girl." Maya wanted to believe Carina, but she didn't have the energy, so she stormed out of the office and sat in the car waiting for Carina.

Carina and the Social Worker talked a little longer and together they made a plan that they both believed had a shot.  They said good night and Carina went to meet Maya in the car.  Carina sat in the driver's seat and started the car.  She wanted to scream at maya for her childish behavior, but she knew that is not what Maya needed. Carina was going to tell her what she need to hear, but not yet.  They drove in complete silence the 30 minutes it took to get home. Maya was still pissed, but was calming down. They got to house, and Carina took her opportunity.

"Sit down",  Carina said to Maya in a not quite yell, but certainly not a kind manner.  Maya knew that tone and had been waiting the whole car ride for the lecture she knew was coming. She sat down and nervously twirled her fingers. Carina stayed standing. "You need to grow up, Maya.  We are parents now and our daughter just tested us.  You failed miserably.  You cannot get angry and storm out when a child acts like a child. I will not parent with you, if you continue this behavior.  I will take Charlotte myself and you can spend the rest of your life pouting." Carina knew what she was saying was harsh, but she needed Maya to hear it, and she knew Maya enough to know when tough love was necessary.  Maya just sat on the couch and stared at Carina, quiet tears coursing down her face.  She knew that she had screwed up, but she didn't understand why carina kept saying their daughter and they would be parents.  Charlotte did not want them. 

"We aren't her parents. No matter how much we wanted her.  She doesn't want us" Maya was so quiet that Carina barely heard her.  

" You are an idiota. She is scared shitless.  She just lost her parents in a fire, then she almost loses you and then she loses both of us.  Grow up and help us convince our baby that we love and want her." Carina walked over and sat next to Maya and held her tight.  She could read Charlotte so well, because Charlotte was doing just what Maya does.  She lashes out when scared and leaves first.  Carina, of course would not tell Maya that.

"We are meeting Charlotte and the social worker tomorrow morning at a diner and Charlotte will listen to us.  She will come home to us.  But you have to be strong, bambina.  This is not the last time Charlotte will test us." Carina led Maya to the bedroom, and they spent the night holding each other and praying that tomorrow goes well.