Chapter 8

It was heartbreaking for Andy to see her friend go through this.  Carina hadn't moved in hours.  She just sat there willing Maya to wake up, willing her to survive these injuries.  Andy couldn't take this anymore, this sitting and waiting and just watching.  Carina had become a very good friend over the years, she wasn't just her best friend's wife.  Carina had become Andy's friend in her own right, and she was broken.  Andy texted Jack and asked him to relieve her for a bit so that she could take a walk, check on Charlotte.  She hoped she was still asleep, because carina wasn't leaving Mayas side for the near future. 

"Need anything, Carina" Andy broke the hours of silence for the first time. Carina looked up with surprise.  

"Other than Maya to wake up, no." Andy knew that Carina hadn't eaten in hours, but she wasn't one to eat when she was upset. Andy silently got up as Jack walked in.  "I don't need a babysitter." Carina yelled. "I can sit here and watch my wife fighting for her life all by myself." 

Andy was not hurt by carina's outburst.  She had known her long enough to know that when Carina felt cornered or felt too much, she lashed out. Andy quietly replied to Carina's bitchy statement: "I know that Carina, but we want to be there for you and for Maya, so let us do something. Please let us be your family.  You don't have to be alone." Carina had begun to accept that station 19 was her family, but she still fought it sometimes, usually when she needed them the most. 

Andy walked out and sat down on the floor outside Maya's room.  She could barely move; she was so emotionally exhausted.  Her best friend was on the brink of death, her other friend could barely hold it together and Andy was trying to be string for everyone they way that her father had taught her.  As she was sitting there, with her head on her knees, she felt someone slide down next to her. She looked over and was not surprised to see Robert Sullivan.  Even though they were divorced, they had become friends again and were always there for each other.  Sullivan understood Andy better than most and often knew what she needed before she did.  He reached over pulled her towards him and she began to cry.  "Just let it out, let it all out." he whispered in her hair. "I got you. Always"

Although Carina's body was still, her mind was racing.  She couldn't get Charlotte out of her mind.  This girl she had never met and didn't know anything about was forefront in her mind.  She had a million questions racing in her mind. She began to quietly speak to Maya. From across the room, Jack could barely make out the words. "Bambina what is it you want me to do? Why did you tell Charlotte about me?  Why is she so important to you?" Even though Maya was in a coma and couldn't respond, Carina felt like she heard the answers in her heart. What do you think, Carina? You need to be there for her, like you've always been there for me.  She's so important to me because she's all alone and broken like I was before you. Carina refused to listen to this voice in her head. She was still so angry at this girl and at Maya. While her mind was fuming in rage, she felt something on her hand. She looked down and Maya's finger was moving ever so slightly.