Chapter 18

Charlotte nervously sat in the back of Carina's Porsche.  She had said goodbye to her social worker and was going to her new home with Carina and Maya.  She hoped it was better than the group home. Maya and Carina seemed nice, but you never know.  People seem nice until they aren't.  Maya and Carina sat in the front holding hands, as nervous as Charlotte was.  Were they ready to raise a five-year-old? one who was dealing with a major trauma?

Carina stopped in their parking place and turned off the car. "Ready?" she asked to noone in particalr.  Both Maya and Charlotte said nothing. Everyone was on edge and not sure what to do next.  Maya thought to herself: "For God's sake, I fight fires for a living.  I can do this."  She got out of the car and opened up the back door.  "Come on Charlotte, let's go." The three girls quietly walked up the stairs to the apartment, no one saying anything.  "Well, here we are." Maya ushered Carina and Charlotte into the apartment. "Do you want to see your room?" 

Charlotte nodded.  They walked to the old guest room and showed Charlotte.  Charlotte burst into tears.  "Oh bambina." Carina held Charlotte as she cried. "This isn't my room.  IT doesn't have my stuff." Charlotte had somehow thought that her stuff would be in the room.  She was too little to understand everything that had happened. Carina carried her to the bed and Charlotte cried herself to sleep. 

Maya turned to Carina with a sad look on her face. "What have we gotten ourselves into?"