chapter 25

Damon

Fuck.

He just had to ruin my moment, didn't he? Everything was fucking perfect. I had her in my arms, like I wanted. Like she needed.

But as soon as I let everything go, I was pulled back to reality. She was smiling and laughing a moment ago but now, a frown replaced it.

Why didn't I just let my phone stay dead, instead of using her charger? If I let it be, I could've gotten us more time. She needed me and I left her where she had been. Alone.

I cursed under my breath and slipped my shirt back on, feeling her gaze but did what I could to avoid it. She was disappointed. This whole situation made me look bad but if she could just be patient with me, I'd tell her everything. I had to find a way. But for the moment, I was so fucking lost.

I stiffened, my back towards her as she sat up. Shame and frustration drifted over me. Letting out a sigh, I finally faced her.

I only got two hours with her. Two hours. And by the look on her face, I knew what she was thinking. It wasn't like that but I couldn't do anything about it. I stared at her, my heart broke even more. I was falling to pieces, watching as she fell apart.

She pulled the blanket to her chest, covering her breasts. Love marks and bruises covered her skin. She pursed her swollen lips, looking up at me with those big doe eyes, filled with hope and disappointment.

Her hair was messy due to everything I did to her moments ago and I hated seeing her this way. She was hurt and I was supposed to make it better. But all I ever did was make it worse. "Baby I promise-"

"You're just going to leave?" Her voice was pained, filled with disbelief and hurt. But also understanding. I didn't deserve any of this. I hurt her and she forgave me every time.

I nodded and looked away ashamed. "I'm sorry."

My phone lit up and a text appeared on the screen. Shit shit shit. Banks just had to do that now. And if things didn't look bad earlier, they looked horrible now.

Unknown number: Are you still coming?

I was going to fucking murder him.

She gasped, looking at the message with hurt and a sense of certainty and it killed me.

"I can explain-"

"Save it," she said, somehow managing to compose herself even through her tears.

I ran a hand down my face in frustration. Clearly I was burnt out and he couldn't even fucking leave me alone. I was conflicted. I already messed up, if I stayed, I'd only make things worse. She needed me but all I ever did was hurt her.

I shook my head, "It's not what you think."

I had to make things right. I'd never forgive myself for leaving like this. Not when I knew she was breaking.

"It's fine," she whispered, clearly thinking the opposite. "I get it." With one hand holding up the blanket, she brought the other to my face and cupped my cheek. Kissing my lips softly. "Just be safe."

She was too good for me. I was taking advantage of her and yet, she was letting me. I just needed time, and I'd get my shit together. She deserved better. She deserved forever and I wanted to be the one to give that to her. "I love you," I told her, needing her to believe me.

"Love you too." My heart clenched in my chest. Maybe I didn't hear the I, maybe I was being paranoid but I swear, when I looked back at her, she was someone else. Her eyes held unbearable pain in them. Inside she was suffering and I only made it worse. She was exhausted and just needed me to hold her. Alas, I was taking every piece of her, draining her to nothing.