Chapter 28; Steady Ground

It was the following day and this was the longest my arm had stayed in pain. The meds were helping some but it was still around. Every time I touched something it would flare for a few minutes, my right arm was currently useless. I sat at the small table in the kitchen practicing writing with my left hand. It was now passable, uncomfortable but passable. I wrote random words from songs that played in my ears. Yuki sat across from me drawing random doodles on a few scraps of paper. Dabi had stepped out to get some food and other things for the house. Yuki showed me doodle after doodle and I praised them all. She mentions how my handwriting was similar to her own and I laughed but she's 8 and I'm 19... this was kinda depressing.

Another hour ticked by and the front door opened, Dabi announced his arrival and we both called out with a 'welcome back.' He entered the kitchen, placing a few bags down. I stand up from my scribbles and help him be careful not to use my right hand. I lift a liquor bottle and store it away smiling to myself, I really wanted to pour a glass but we had a meeting tonight... sadly. I pull out a small pack of candy and toss it beside Yuki. She had asked for sweets. She happily consumed them and continued to doodle. Without thinking a grab the fridge door to pull it open but I quickly hiss in pain. "Your arm still bothering you?" Dabi's voice was gentle, as he puts a loaf of bread away.
"Yeah... this honestly sucks." I sigh out glancing at the clock. "I'm going to take more pills."
"It's not time." He says firmly turning his body to me.
"I'm only an hour early." My tone was flat as I start to walk passed him to leave.
"No." He grabbed my waist stopping me from moving. I stood there glaring up into his sapphire eyes and he stares down into my (E/C) orbs. Neither of us budged. "Ha, you blinked. I win." He announces pushing me into the chair I was in earlier.
"That's bull," I growl out, placing my head down on the table.
"You already have a drinking problem, I don't need you to have a drug problem." He sighs out and finishes putting everything away.
I don't respond and just look down at the paper that had my writing practice.

...Time Skip...

We stood in the new base, I stood with a drink in my hand. Crusty is going over a few side missions to gain some money for the group. I wasn't worried about money but I can't let these people know that. Toga and Twice apparently were supposed to track someone down. Some random guy that double-crossed Handsy at some point. Magne and Compress were meeting with some man for a deal. Then he got to Dabi and me, he said we both got along quite well so we're going to represent the league at an underground auction and it was VERY important. Neither of us were happy about this. But they probably had good food and drinks so I agreed with a shrug. Dabi only grunted in response. I knew with a glance he was not looking forward to this. I needed a nice evening gown, I was heavily debating on stealing one for the hell of it. I mean why not.

Everyone leaves the base with their new objectives. We walk home threw the chilled alleyways, I was lost in thought thinking about our mission in 2 days. Suddenly I'm grabbed and pulled back, I let out a quick squeak in surprise. "Watch where you're going." His voice was low and quiet, and my spine sent a shiver down my body. I notice the crowbar that was stained red at my feet, I probably would have tripped over it. "What's got your mind wraped up?" He asks releasing me and walking ahead of my still stiff body. I blink a few times before answering.
"Oh! Just what I'm going to wear if I'm going to wear something more scandalous or timid." I shrug catching up to him. He hums in response, I shrug it off not paying too much mind to his reaction. I quickly return to my thoughts, mindlessly walking hand and hand with Dabi.

We returned home and Yuki was asleep on the couch, the tv playing a kids' program. I walk over and lift her from the sofa and place her in her own bed. I return to the living room and sit beside Dabi as he flips on a random movie. I curl up to his side, happily watching the tv. As we sit watching the screen we start to kiss, which quickly grew intense.

The next morning came quite quickly, nothing more happened last night. I sat up from the bed stretching my limbs out, I noticed I was alone in the bed. The room was quiet and dark, however, a little sun shone threw the heavy curtains. My eyes scan the dark-lit room for any reason to rise from the warm comforter. I shimmy further into the bed becoming engulfed in comfort. I was in bliss. No pain. No fears. I just had this calmness that sat in my chest. Drawing a long sigh from my mouth I sat up slowly. Running my hands through my hair trying to tame the bedhead that was definitely taking over my face. I sat in the quiet room letting my arms drop onto the blankets causing them to puff up some. After a few more sighs I lift my body from the bed. I stroll off into the bathroom to start my day.

Drying my (H/C) locks, I enter the living area in a soft, fuzzy robe. Yuki was already up and she was coloring in a coloring book, scribbling to her heart's content. I sit behind her on the couch and turn the TV on flipping threw the channels. Something about today seems like nothing could go wrong.