Chapter 29; Party

I step out of a taxi with Dabi by my side. I wore a long, black, velvety dress with one sleeve covering my scarring. A long slit runs up my left leg making movement easier. I had happily stole this from a shop in a nice part of town. I mean I could have payed for it but I really didn't want to pay for it. So goddamn expensive. Dabi wore a dress shirt and dress pants. It's the most I could get.
I glance down at my phone reading the name of our target. His picture was basic, he looked like every other business man. My eyes move back to the large manor that stood in front on me. I stood behind Dabi as we entered the party. People of all types were there, but everyone had one thing in common. Being a criminal of some kind. "Let's spilt up, find the dude, then fucking leave." Dabi huffs out before walking away quickly.

I walk around the floor, scooting past people and listening on conversation to pass the time. I see a woman with what I'd call 'demon' features, horns protrude from her temples and her long white hair was neatly tied up. Beside her was a younger man, I assumed her child, for he held many of the same features as her. I stood to the side looking around while listening in. "So sad, but at least my disappointment of a son was the one killed and not my Tsutomu." She laughed patting his hand gently, "oh but of course I still want to chat with his killer... it's that one underground villain... what's their name? God, it's slipped my mind, the one that's for hire and can't be killed." She mumbles trying to remember the name, "oh that's right it's—"
My phone buzzes and I tune out the rest of their conversation looking down at the screen. It's a text from Dabi saying 'found him,' I smile a little. I send a text back just confirming that I got it and was on my way over.
I walk across the room heading straight through the middle to bee line to his side of the large ball room. I crumble my gown in my hand to comfort myself. For some reason this uneasiness started to take over me, somethings not right. I clear my throat slightly seeing gas leak from my lips. I freeze, that's not supposed to happen. My quirk isn't active. I shouldn't be coughing up the gas. I swallow this lump that started to build up in my throat and move forward. Something is wrong with my quirk... first my scar hurts for days and now my quirk is malfunctioning.
After a short search I see the black spiky hair I'd grown to adore. I move over to him, Dabi was talking to the guy who we were looking for. Should I tell him about my quirk problems. No... I'll leave it for now. Focus at the task at hand. Dabi's eyes meet my own and I smile at him while he just watches for a moment before turning away.
I stood besides him, the business man was incredibly dull. Nothing he said interested me, it was all information that Dabi could handle. I was offered a champagne which I happily expected and sipped. The warmth was a nice change in my body and calmed my nerves some. Without warning Dabi grabs my hand taking it from me and drags me for the door. "Hey! I was drinking that!" I announced annoyed at him.
"We're leaving, let's go." He grumbles pulling the tie around his neck loose. My earlier worries pushed from my mind as my want for the expensive champagne took over my mind.
"Party pooper." I sigh out, looking over to the groups of people.

Right before we leave the party the door shuts and a voice boom from the speakers, "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, NON-BINARY AND GENDER FLUID PEOPLE! I LOVE TO ALLOW YOU TO LEAVE, BUT I HAVE SOMETHING TO ANNOUNCE." The room quickly filled with mummers. My eyes met with Dabi's for a brief moment, I was once again worried. The uneasiness filled my gut and I started up at the small balcony that overlooked the ballroom. The lights shut off and a man appeared on the balcony. I knew him. It was that man. The man with long silver hair and golden eyes, my whole body tensed up. He was at the warehouse, he was the one running that place.
"Dabi..." I whisper and he only nods in response.
"I WANTED TO ANNOUNCE THAT MY SON WILL SOON TAKE OVER MY BUSINESS. HE IS TO BE WED SOON!" People began to clap their hands. "NOW COME OUT MY SON AND SOON-TO-BE DAUGHTER-IN-LAW!"
A man with curly brown hair and gold eyes that matched his fathers. His skin was a few shades darker from his father's but they both held a yellow undertones. I recognized that man immediately, it was the guy we met with in the underground bar. The leader. Curses flew through my mind as I realized how fucked we were if the older man spotted us. I woman stood besides both of them, she was quite pretty. She had a lean but curvy body, her eyes were a piercing white that looked ghostly, and her hair ran to about her waist and shimmered in the low lighting. "MY SON SHIN NOMURA AND HIS FIANCÉE, VELVETTE HART!" Everyone clapped once again and threw out congratulations for the couple.

Dabi's hand remained right around my left hand, he was looking around the room for what I can only assume to be an escape route. Everyone calmed down as the three of them were now among the masses socializing. I let out another cough watching the gas once again leaving my mouth. I quickly glance at Dabi but he hadn't noticed to pre-occupied. When my eyes moved back to where the hosts of the party were they quickly meet the familiar gold ones that I now feared. 'Fuck.'