Chapter 1

As we drifted I water bended most of the time to keep my mind off things. It was calming. After being adrift for about three weeks we made it to a Fire Nation small colony that was right on the beach where we stopped. Once we landed the weight of my actions started to get to me. I didn't regret it but I did feel sorry. I stayed up most nights again not being able to sleep. I would walk away in the middle of the night to train, to calm myself. I worried about how hurt my family must feel. I left without even saying a single goodbye.

I lay on the porch looking up to the sky humming the same tune as always. I raise my hands over my face as my fingers went along with the melody. When I heard Iroh's voice I peeked my head inside where he was getting a massage.

"This is what I've been missing," Iroh breathed, "Who knew floating on a piece of driftwood, for three weeks with no food, or water, and sea vultures waiting to pluck out your liver, could make one so tense," He paused looking to me as I listened to him,"Kya, would you like to get a massage?"

This was the third time he's offered me today.

"I'm okay thanks," I replied softly and I sat up singing the song under my breath as I swayed my head side to side slowly.

Just for one answer, I hummed, it's always silent.

Iroh walked over to Zuko who sat against the wall looking down,"I see. It's the anniversary, isn't it?"

I looked over curiously. What was today?

"Three years ago today, I was banished, I lost it all, I want it back. I want the Avatar, I want my honor, my throne, I want my father not to think I'm worthless," Zuko replied a bit pained.

"I'm sure he doesn't," Iroh responded,"Why else would he banish you if he didn't care?"

I bit my lip looking away with wide eyes. That last line made no sense Iroh. Zuko got up and walked away.

"Uh, that came out wrong, didn't it?" Iroh asked me I nodded in silence watching Zuko walk away.

I sighed following Zuko. I followed him quietly until he stopped. He turned slightly to be able to see me," Leave," he said calmly.

"You should think about things too bitterly. I mean look in front of us," The beautiful beach we were on, pink flowered trees covered the sun from hitting the sand, sure it wasn't the greatest but at least it was pretty. Zuko stayed silent.

"You may not be home but there are so many little things you could appreciate in life. They may not be a lot by themselves but they can add up to a lot. Don't you think?" I look back smiling a bit. I don't really know who that was for, him, or me.

He looked at the view once more than at me and kept walking. I sighed, yup maybe it was just to make me feel better. To convince myself I wasn't making a stupid choice.

Zuko needs someone who's willing to pick him up if he's ever going to change as a person. But am I really the right person to do that? I shook my head and continued to follow him. We didn't talk, but the view was pretty considering our situation. I mostly just kept him company in a blissfully dreaded silence.

When I returned Iroh offered to go to the beach. I agreed, wanting to feel the ocean once more. I don't know when I'll ever be able to see it again after this. I enjoyed the sea scent as Iroh collected seashells.

We made our way back to the villa we were staying at.

"Look at these magnificent shells. I'll enjoy these keepsakes for years to come," Iroh joyfully said. I smiled in agreement as he showed me the others.