Chapter 9

The old man brought us to a flower shop.

"It is an honor to welcome such a high ranking member of the Order of the White Lotus. Being a grand master, you must know so many secrets," The man said to Iroh.

"Question, what is the Order of the White Lotus Iroh?" I asked still intrigued about this whole conversation no one is caring to explain to me.

"Now that you played Pai Sho, are you going to do some flower arranging or someone in this club gonna offer some real help?" Zuko asked frustratingly.

"Shh," I hissed at Zuko who scoffed.

"You must forgive my nephew," Iroh said,"He is not an initiate and has little appreciation for the cryptic arts,"

"I don't," I said shaking my head, "So will you tell me?"

Iroh just laughed placing a hand on my left shoulder,"There is a time for everything my dear Kya,"

I sighed, knowing no one was going to explain to me this hidden secret.

We followed the old man as he knocked on the door. A small window slid open as a man looked out to us.

"Who knocks at the garden gate?" The man asked.

"One who has eaten the fruit and tasted its mysteries," Iroh responded.

The door opened, the old man and Iroh walked in, as Zuko was about to walk in as well the door shut in his face.

"I'm afraid it's members only. Wait out here," Iroh said through the small window.

Zuko frowned crossing his arms as I pouted being left out of the conversation. I puffed a strand of hair out of my face, leaning back on the wall. Zuko leaned over to smell a flower next to him amidst the awkward silence. I looked over at him who shrugged. I smiled a little, walking closer smelling the same flower then another one on the other side.

"This one smells better," I hummed to myself as I sat down next to the flower that's scent I enjoyed.

I began singing to myself as I saw Zuko smell the same flower I did. He smelled it again trying to think of something. I looked up to him who then looked down at me.

"Do you only know two songs?" He asked trying to break the silence.

I shook my head,"No but their the only two songs I remember my mom used to sing for me and my siblings when we were younger," They made me happy.

Singing those songs helped me stop thinking about all the pain I feel knowing she's no longer here, knowing her killer is still out there, at least temporarily. It makes me feel like she's not completely gone. It made me come to peace that the world keeps moving, and that it wouldn't wait for me to heal, even if I still needed healing.

"Do you know any songs?" I asked genuinely curious.

He looked at me, as if he didn't want to answer that question. I sighed at him being horrible at trying to continue our conversation and continued to hum. Not that I didn't enjoy the silence being with him.

"I used to play the tsungi horn," Zuko finally said, clearing his throat, and feeling a bit embarrassed. He avoided looking at me.

"Really?" I asked, giving a small laugh,"You don't seem like it,"

"That was a long time ago," Zuko said looking down.

It was probably before the accident. I thought to myself.

"You should try playing it again one day," I said with a smile that he didn't return.

"I would love to hear it," I whispered out but Zuko still heard. He snapped his head to me, watching me.