Chapter thirty seven

"I think I'm going to be sick," I grumble as I walk up to Demetri and Felix who were waiting under the shade of a tree by the car.

"That wasn't the reaction we were anticipating...did it go alright?" Felix asks somewhat nervously.

"Um..." I tried to hold the crack in my voice from breaking but failed miserably as my eyes instantly filled with water. "I don't know." I mutter out and the tears start streaming down my face.

"Oh shit...Dem this is all you now," Felix mutters and escapes around to the drivers side.

"It's fine," I simper and wave Demetri away as he awkwardly opened his arms for a comforting hug. "I'm fine, lets just go home."

Dem opens my door for me and I throw my rucksack across the seats before clambering in after it. Felix didn't even make a comment about damaged leather seats.

"I'm sure you did fine," Demetri says confidently as we pull away. "Either way, there's no point worrying about it now, what's done is done! We'll all chill and have a party or something, no more revision, no more Caius pestering you daily about Latin scripture? Eh?"

"I guess so...I just don't think it went very well. I think I've let myself down...I should've..." I stop myself from saying it aloud. I should've spent less time with Aro.

"A few days of well deserved relaxing and being spoilt rotten by the big-man and all will be well again," Felix pitches in, obviously having recovered from his immediate embarrassment of my disappointed tears.

I nod silently and wipe at my face to get rid of the dampness there, Aro would find out I cried, I'd probably cry again when he asked how it all went. But not arriving with red puffy eyes straight off the bat would be best.

"Can we have some music, please?" I ask and Felix obliges with some crazy euro-pop.

About twenty minutes had passed, I was fixated on watching the outside world through the heavily tinted rear-windows. All the greens and yellows and reds of the vineyard crops, supports and soils were coated in grey from the window.

Felix turned the radio off suddenly pulling me out of my trance and I watched in confusion as Demetri somehow managed to clamber quite gracefully through the gap in the driver and passenger chairs to sit next to me. He pulled at my seatbelt making sure it was secure.

"Dem...are you okay?" I ask.

"We're being followed," he says calmly, although his voice had taken on a very serious tone. "If I tell you to do something you'll listen."

I find myself nodding as he fixes me with a firm stare, his eyes were freshly fed red and sharp as a knife.

"Step on it Felix," Demetri says having confirmed my safety and the car lurches suddenly across three lanes and off the slip road.

I grip onto the side of the door, my other hand subconsciously reaching out for Demetri, who allows me to hold onto his wrist.

Felix ignores every road law as he swerves us through the traffic, occasionally driving up off of the road to get around irritated other road users.

"Fuckers!" He curses. "They're still with us, better call ahead."

Demetri already has his mobile pressed to his ear. "Santi, yes, Felix and I have Celestine, she's safe. We're being followed – just about to rejoin the SR439." Demetri twists to look through the rear window and I attempt to do the same but his hand pushes me back into my seat. "White, Range Rover, plate RT87 YLP...25mins - that is with Felix speeding you idiot!" Demetri turns back into his seat and glances across at me for a second. "Just...FELIX!" Demetri shouts and I don't even register what happens until several chaotic seconds later.