Chapter twenty seven

It had been a beautiful evening. Earlier in the day I had made myself chocolate cake, and was now warming a slice in the microwave, watching the bowl spin slowly and the ganache melt into a warm gooey mess.

I had eaten risotto for dinner and had sat on my balcony watching the sunset and the local. people in the square below. People who had waved up at me. Real human people. People with real lives who probably went to work every morning and had families, with children they read bedtime stories to every night. I felt strange, like I was watching an alternate universe unfold around me. My life was a cross between royalty and a caged bird; I was able to watch the world from the comfort and safety of my new little home which made me feel content, but at the same time, I envied those below, free to wander the streets of their town as they pleased. I hoped my freedoms would be extended further when Aro and the rest of the Volturi returned.

I'd remained on the balcony, wrapped in a blanket and reading by candle light until the sun set. It was judgment day today. Christmas Eve. Most of the other balconies I could see from mine had been strewn with twinkling lights, and every evening for the last few days there had been carols sung in the evenings. I desperately wanted to leach off of the happiness I could feel from the other humans so close but also miles away from my reality. Instead I had busied myself with everything and anything I could possibly think of to keep my mind off of the dreaded events of today.

Aro had promised to ring me as soon as he was finished, I hoped he'd hold to that promise, I had already accepted that there would be one outcome, but until I'd heard it for real then I wouldn't allow myself to fall into the mess I knew I would become.

Stood in my kitchen now still with a blanket draped over my shoulders I hummed along to the random mix of Christmas songs that was playing from my iPod as the microwave continued to hum. I could definitely get used to this little bit of extra freedom. Making my own food was fun, and even though there was a tension in my chest like something was missing – I could only assume this was being caused by whatever the mating bond did when Aro was away – I really enjoyed being independent over the last few days.

I shuffled back over to the sofa and balanced the bowl of warm chocolate cake on my stomach while my knees propped up the book I resumed to read - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. I'd found it in the library a few weeks ago and had taken it back to my room for a time when I needed a comforting childhood throwback. This was the perfect time, Narnia was taking my mind away from my current reality, and as I read the words I could almost visualise the falling snow and smell the dense pine trees beyond the fur coats at the back of the wardrobe.

My phone rang and I closed my book. It rang once, twice, three times before I moved. My fingers were shaky as I picked up the small device; it was another blackberry, Aro had warned me not to try ringing anyone else, he'd programmed his number and several other members of the guard in case of emergency, but so far only he had contacted me to check in that I was okay.

"Aro?" I was already crying when I stuttered his name. Expecting to hear his sigh and apology as he told me Bella's fate.

"Cel?" It wasn't Aro.

"B-Bella?" I gasp. "Bella? You're alive?"

My sister laughs awkwardly down the phone. "Yes, yes we're all alive, the Volturi have left, we never broke any laws, Irina was wrong..."

"Wait...wait," I wiped a hand over my eyes and tried to stand, kicking the blanket away that had tangled around my legs. "Who's Irina? And what do you mean you didn't break any laws? Was there no immortal child? I told Aro, I told him there must have been a mistake!" I spoke so quickly. I was overjoyed to hear her voice. I grin was plastered across my face and I paced up and down while I allowed her to explain.