Chapter twenty three

"Felix thinks chocolate is overrated," Heidi shrugs and I gawp in response. Demetri had collected me from my room after breakfast and toured me through the castle – of which I was becoming more and more accustomed to by the day – to the guards wing. Here all the guards had their own rooms with socialising chambers, there was a games room, several lounges and we were currently sat across various pieces of furniture in the largest sitting room.

Heidi was gorgeous, much like Didyme and Athenodora, she held herself with the confidence only a woman who knew herself to be breathtaking could, but she was also joking with the other guard members with a carefree and sarcastic mannerisms.

"I am pretty sure I tasted cocoa, it was bitter and dirt like," Felix defends himself.

"From Celestine's expression, I think you're wrong Felix," Heidi rolls her eyes and the large vampire slumps in his chair.

"I can't be judged on human food opinions – haven't eaten the stuff in ages! Hey, Cygnet, what does chocolate taste like?" He asks.

I frown while I think, trying to explain what chocolate tasted like without being able to use any other flavours as comparison was tricky. "If we say milk chocolate is standard it's smooth and creamy, and rich and its warm, like the warmth you get on a cold day when you sit by a fire...you can't stare at me like that!" I shake my head when Felix takes his turn to roll his eyes. "Have you ever tried explaining how blood tastes without comparing it to other flavours?"

"Ah-hem," Felix mock coughs to clear his throat. "Blood, an elixir to both human and vampire alike, it flows like nectar beneath the supple flesh, more viscous than water, thick with life and hot with lust, it does not just bring pleasure to our lips but pulses that pining, aching, craving desire through the veins of its host."

At this Felix turned to Heidi and stood slowly before stalking over to her chaise, his body folded down as he prowled like a hunting animal up over her body. She seemed to enjoy the show, leaning back and elongated her neck for Felix to run his nose up the length. He audibly inhaled before snapping his head around to catch my eye.

"Blood is not just a taste little cygnet, it's comes with feeling. Just the scent alone makes your mouth moisten, every sense is attuned to its palpating lure. Like a flush of arousal," he raises his eyebrows and places a kiss on Heidi's neck. "And when it finally meets your lips..."

Felix suddenly flips himself and Heidi over, abusing his superior strength which resulted in Heidi straddling his waist while he reclined with both hands behind his head and a toothy grin. "Better than sex," he rounds off and Heidi slaps the side of his head, not managing to remove Felix's boyish smile.

"Can we please remember our present company?" Demetri titters and Felix sobers slightly and gives me a softer smile.

"Sorry cygnet, hope that wasn't too much of a visual," he taps Heidi's legs and they quickly rearrange themselves so they're sat side by side.

There were several quite moments before I finally eased the tension. "Chocolate is also better than sex." The room erupted into laughter.

~V~

"It's the 13th today?" Aro hadn't expected my reaction. His sudden surprise was evident in his expression.

"I wasn't aware you had become so lost with the days," he frowns. "I apologise for not letting you know sooner."

"My sister is getting married," I say aloud, almost to myself so I can really hear the words. "My sister is getting married to a vampire."

So much had happened in such a short period of time. Not two months ago was I graduating my senior year and prepared to scamper off to college in the fall. Now I sat across from my vampire mate who was over three thousand years old, said vampire who was watching me with undead red eyes.