Chapter sixteen

I could see Demetri's eyes watching me in the rear-view mirror as I attempted to yawn again and again to try and pop my ears. Despite having slept through the majority of the flight I had still suffered from the pressure change.

The sun was setting over the horizon, the rich reds, oranges and pinks washing the sky like a water painting. It was a sickening feeling, admiring the rolling landscape but breaking on the inside, how could I appreciate the beauty of this country when I was now a hostage.

"We don't usually have guests, Celestine, so if there is anything, we have forgone please let me know and it will be righted immediately," Aro says turning to face me.

"I'm surprised you don't have more humans staying with you, just in case you fancy a midnight snack?" my eyes followed the smirk that crossed his face, he looked paler now. With the knowledge that no blood filled his veins I noticed the pastiness of his skin, the almost papery effect, although I had touched him before, I now worried that he would flake away beneath my fingers.

"I would like to introduce you to my brothers before you get too settled, Caius and Marcus are ready for you today, and then I will introduce you to Athena and Didyme tomorrow after you have fully rested."

"Why do I need to meet them? I already dislike them...I'd quite like to just be alone...please."

"It'll only be a quick introduction, and then I will show you to your room. Formalities are a necessity, and it will only take a few moments," Aro insists and I sigh back into the leather of the car.

I was still feeling confused about how I felt. Should I have been afraid? I wasn't sure I was afraid or just silently in shock, everything had happened so quickly my brain was just taking time to decide how to process everything. I could see myself breaking if I didn't hurry up and pick an emotion to depend upon. Anger, sadness, fear...there were several to choose from and each had its equal share of reasoning, they were all good emotions to rely on, but which one should I succumb to?

A bastide style town grew into view on the horizon, its walled boundaries making me feel even more trapped before we had passed through the stone archway.

It was beautiful and hideous at the same time, such a quaint little town with normal people selling fruit and veg from rickety stalls outside their homes but as we drove past, the large car squeezing its way through the tight streets reminded me that the vampires ruled this place. I wondered if the locals knew how much danger they were in, did they work for the vampires? Maybe they sacrificed one local a month to feed the vampires and secure their safety from whatever other creatures may exist?

We seemed to veer away from the town, following the outer wall which turned from cobbles to smooth tarmac. The car paused at a set of tall wooden gates, only for the briefest of minutes before the gates opened and we drove down into darkness.

Gone was the setting sun and now florescent lights clicked on as we passed under each one, at the base of the slope the room opened up into a massive garage. Sports cars galore were lined up and all perfectly shiny and clean. We stopped, and Demetri and Felix exited swiftly.

"We will head upstairs into the castle now, Caius and Marcus are already waiting in my quarters they are looking forward to meeting you properly at last," Aro smiles softly.

I shake my head, "You've fucked up big time, you do realise this, don't you?"

"I would appreciate it if you didn't use such language Celestine."

"Oh, don't try and treat me like some sort of child, I wouldn't have anything to do with you if I had a choice...but I don't have much choice, do I?" It was difficult to stare at him for so long, hatred bubbled up inside me, yet his face was still the same, his eyes drew me in even though I felt disgusted by the deep red of his irises.