Ch.1- Well hello

'Shit!' I jerked back at the sound of the expensive glass platter shattering on the cold brick surface of the floor as it slipped from my hands

        'Shit!' I jerked back at the sound of the expensive glass platter shattering on the cold brick surface of the floor as it slipped from my hands. My hands balled in fists, cradling against my chest as I squint my eyes and furrow my eyebrows waiting for the lecture that would most likely follow soon after for dropping such a delicate piece.

   'Y/n!' Ms. James scolds as she stomps towards me with an angry demeanor. 'I'm so so sorry. I promise I'll do all that I can to work and pay it off.' I say reassuringly.

   'Oh come on Y/n! You know that platter costs more than two of your weeks salary combined. I would let you do that but if I did you would've been dead from not being able to afford a morsel of food.' She's right

  I stand there shifting through all the ideas I had to possibly make up for the fine China I had shattered, but expectingly, I come up inconclusive. The doubt on my face is a dead give away.

   She scoffs 'Dear Lord Y/n, the way you still have a job here working for the Kim's is above my comprehension. I'll cover the plate for you but the next time this happens I'm telling Mrs. Kim about the matter and I'm sure you won't be making your pennies here anymore.' I quickly nod, relieved I was let off the hook so easily. 'Yes miss, I'm so sorry for the inconvenience.'

'Why don't you pay it forward by cleaning up this mess.' I nod a tad bit more reluctant but I ultimately submit to my orders and go to retrieve my cleaning supplies.

    I walk hastily down the dingy narrow halls of the servants courtiers in search of the cleaning facility (more like a closet) when my ears pick up the joyous sound of laughter coming from above. The Kim's are hosting another banquet tonight and like usual it's the talk of the town. I find myself enjoying it as even though it's more work it also gives me permission to head up stairs to the much more well kept part of the mansion to set up for the feast. Because of this the servants that are chosen to head out of the basements into the actual mansion to set up are given a pair of nicer clothes to seem more presentable and like usual I'm chosen to head up for the day. They always want a hasty, younger servant to work up stairs just in case things get hectic and lucky for them I fit the stereotype quite well.

   Just as I'm about to approach the cleaning closet one of the upper maids calls out from around the corner, catching me by surprise. "Y/n! Come on! What are you still doing in your old clothes? We need you up here. Put these on! I expect you up in 10 minutes tops!" I reluctantly nod, catching the bundle of clothes she's thrown me, wondering if I should go back to clean my mess or put on my uniform and catch up with all the other chosen servants to help set up like I've been told. I debate my opinions thoroughly but one look at my uniform has me running like a little girl towards the nearest room to change in excitement for the evening ahead.

[POV switch]

  "Jennie up!"  Feeling the smack of my moms fan against the small of my back while I practice my posture. I sit up a little straighter at my moms wishes, this time straining my back in the process. I wince and scrunch my nose in frustration as my mom scoffs at me for being dramatic.