Ch. 6- The First of Many Flaws

(15+ shit towards the end. Nothing to be worried about.)

3rd person POV

Courtship Day. The biggest day for the wealthy girls of the early 1900's. It is a day that will determine the fate of your entire future. Men from all cultures of the world come in to see you and place their bid, show off what they can offer you as their wife. Girls as young as 16 take part in courtship day and men as old as 70 will show up and fight for your love. The young teenage girls are dressed in the finest, most elegant clothes provided by their parents to aid them in their appeal. Men as early as 5:00 in the morning will come arrive at your estate to show their dedication and want for you. The day is an absolute nightmare for girls that have self worth.

As many as 20 men come throughout the day and stay throughout the week. By the end of the week the parents will decide which they think is the best fit for their daughter, and just like that a ring gets place on her finger provided by the winner and she gets taken away to wherever her new fiancés house is. High chances that once she leaves you may never see her again. It is a cruel process, one the girls don't have any say in.

Y/N POV

"The heiress will be out soon Y/n." I turn around at the voice calling out to me and see her maiden assistant. A woman I've seen as my motherly figure since day one. She isn't as cruel as all the other higher ups.

"Is she doing alright?" She smiles sadly at my concern. Even though she doesn't know the lengths which me and Jennie's relationship travels across she does know me and Jennie used to have a friendly relationship when we were kids. It's only logical that I look out for her like I've been doing my whole life.

"She's definitely not doing the best right now. I think the change is hitting her a little fast. We got her dressed and she looks absolutely gorgeous but nonetheless we are leaving her by herself for a bit to kind of cool off." I nod and come up with an idea.

"Can I maybe go and check up on her? I think she could use a familiar face right now to give her some advice?" She seems hesitant, taking my offer into great consideration. She sighs and nods her head.

"Ok. That's fine I guess. Go and see her. You know where her room is right?" I nod and before I can thank her I rush past her stomping my feet up the velvet stairs.

Before lowering the handle to her bedroom and walk in I look around take one that deep breath so I keep my composure. Doing this will not be an easy task. Nothing has ever been easy though has it? I guess not.

I push down on the heavy door once the coast is clear and slowly open it. I immediately see Jennie sitting on the edge of her bed, back facing me, head down playing with her fingers in her lap nervously. Through the silence I can hear a few sniffles coming from her. The light pouring in from the windows illuminates her figure so beautifully I almost forget the sad situation we're in for a second. Being that I opened the door so quietly I don't even think she knows she has company.

I close the door behind me quietly once I'm inside and slowly approach her. Trying to muster up the right way to take to in such a devastating moment at the time. Before I make it half way across the room to her I hear her call out my name, back still facing me.

"Y/n?" Her voice is solace and small, but very comforting. The same Kiwi accent I've grown to adore still present.

I give a light chuckle. "How'd you know?"