Ch. 7- Day Before Destruction

(3rd person POV)

Over the next few days, the courting of Ms. Jennie Kim continued in full swing. There was a new fancy dinner filled with the finest foods every night. Balls, picnics, carriage rides, and even a couple fights between the men as pressure builds. The whole town braced themselves over who would be chosen to marry the young 18 year old heiress. This would be the towns next 'IT' couple, the next big wedding that would take place. Something for them to gossip about and fangirl over. The townspeople were already picking sides with who Jennie should choose. Arguments would occur on the daily over biddings being taken place.

Large amounts of money was on the line between the middle class men. The people would do anything to help their chosen men succeed and win over the prized possession. The servants could only hold their breath and just hope the man Jennie would marry would be kind enough to treat them right. Hopefully a man that provided better pay and a better place to stay. But now the odds weren't looking very up to their favor. Usually the man with the most money won the heiress heart. And no man with a lot of money in this time period would be any sort of kind or giving.

But all in all nothing struck the courtship harder than Y/n and the heiress herself. The two would thrive off of small greetings and short notes detected to each other from around the house. Often very late at night the two would wake up and head downstairs to see if the other was awake. If they were successful in having a restless night they would stay up for as long as they could no matter how tired.

Sometimes they wouldn't even say anything, just hold each other and enjoy each other's company. Nights would be spent talking and laughing quietly in Jennie's room, having a bath together or making love in parts of the estate where no one could find them. The pair found themselves falling for each other more and more every time they saw one another. Their love didn't make sense to the common eye but neither of them cared to question their feelings.

Everyday it was getting harder and harder for Jennie to maintain her class whenever Y/n would come around. The pair had almost been caught multiple times but were both lucky enough to get away without a scratch. Some were catching on to the two's connection but none had the guts to say anything about their suspicions. Their looks during working hours lasted longer and their flirtatious behavior would be upheld during public conversations. It was a miracle how no one suspected anything greatly concerning between them.

They couldn't explain what they were feeling but they didn't care for an explanation. Their forbidden love was carrying them through tough times and that's all that mattered to them. It didn't make the courtship situation any easier though. Both of them still dreaded the time they'd wake up from their dreams and continue on with the cruel process. But who else around them cared? The show must go on.

(Jennie's POV)

"And that's how my business blew up into modern day France." The suitor finished proudly.

I gave him a fake smile as I politely sat down my tea cup. I coax his ego on.

"And I'm sure your success surprised your family?" Anything to get him to keep talking so I can talk less.

"Oh yes and I...." His voices faded from my ears trying to drown out his delusion. As he dragged on I subconsciously looked around at my nearby surroundings. The maids and servants all pass by swiftly. It's rush hour around this time.

Foods of all kind pass by and gets dropped off on the glass table. I look at the clock...12:00. My mood gets a little brighter. Y/n is off her downstairs shift and is now supposed to move to patrol outside. I look around a little more determined, now more obvious I was distracted. I search the garden land looking out for her. Then my eyes spot her walking in the far distance, sun hitting her body.