Chapter 15

Bruno came down the next morning, face pale, hair messy, and he stumbled into the kitchen, appearing lost. Julieta went to lead him to the table, to sit down, but he dodged away from her, grabbing an arepa and leaning against the counter.

"Bruno..." Julieta began, but he shook his head and closed his eyes.

"Don't." He said, his voice laced with defeat and hopelessness. "Just don't."

She sighed and wrapped him in an awkward hug, gripping his ruana with as much comfort as he could.

"I'm so, so sorry, hermano. You don't deserve this."

Bruno didn't hug her back, and didn't say a word.

Agustín walked into the kitchen, and Bruno glanced up at him, his lips in a tight line, as if he was holding back tears. Agustín frowned, crossing his hands over his chest shyly. He knew that it was his fault. He knew that Bruno hated him.

"Bruno, I didn't mean for this to happen. I know....I know how you feel about her. I messed up, and I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault." Bruno whispered, but Agustín heard him. "You didn't want to hurt us."

"Mama didn't want you to get hurt, either." Julieta said. Her comment was met with silence, as if none of them believed it.

Loud footsteps could be heard, as well as thunder, and Pepa walked into the kitchen, the cloud above her head bigger than ever. She looked at Bruno, concerned, and faced him, trying to steady her breathing.

"I told Cassidy what happened."

Bruno stiffened. "What did she say?"

"She wants to talk to you. She sounded really hurt, and I can't imagine how she feels."

Bruno nodded, picking up a rat that had escaped from his pocket and walked out of the room, down the hallway. He passed his mother in the main room, and looked to the floor, knowing that he wouldn't be able to face her. She didn't even acknowledge that he was there, and Bruno counted it as a blessing.

It wasn't long until he was outside, and he saw a familiar gray dress by the creek. Unlike most other days, Cassidy's hair was down, blowing in the wind. She stood stiffly as he came up beside her, taking measured breaths. Bruno saw tears in her eyes and knew that he probably mirrored her.

"I would've said yes, you know."

Bruno took her hand gently, his heart breaking at the words. Agustín and Félix were right, she loved him, they could've been happy together, married, but... what had they done to deserve this?

"I really wanted to ask you. I...I bought a ring and everything."

She gave a sad smile, catching his eyes. "I would've loved to marry you, Bruno. A part of me just wants to run away with you, where we could be happy. Be together."

"You know we can't do that."

"I know."

Bruno sat down, taking off his sandals and dipping his feet into the water. Cassidy followed his lead, leaning against him and resting her head on his shoulder.

"Cass?" Bruno asked quietly, and she looked up at him, her brown eyes shining with tears.

"Yes?"

"I...I want you to be happy. I want you to find someone else."

"No." She said, gripping her hand in her own. "No. I'll never love anyone else. You're the only one I love, Bruno, and the only one I'll ever love."

"But, Cassidy, we can't be together."