Chapter 17

"Cassidy! Cass! Wake up!"

Cassidy stirred as her shoulders were shaken roughly, picking her head up from the table. Bruno stood over her, his hair a mess of curls. A deep frown was on his face, and she forced herself to get up.

"Bruno! What's wrong?" She gripped his hands, hands that were shaking worse than she had ever seen before, and he took in a stuttering breath.

"Mirabel一the vision一I have to go."

His voice was disjointed and heartbroken, so Cassidy watched him with worry.

"Hey, it's okay, just breathe and explain to me what's going on. We'll figure it out."

"I...they're in danger. All of us. I don't know what this means, or..."

"How are they in danger? Who? You're family?"

Bruno's eyes began to fill with tears as he held her desperately.

"Everyone."

She wrapped him in a hug as he began to cry, not knowing what was wrong but wanting to help him through it. She rubbed his back comfortingly, hoping that it would help him.

"It'll be okay, Bruno, it'll be okay." She whispered, and after some time he managed to relax, well, as relaxed as he could be right now. He took a shuddering breath as he pulled away, wringing his hands out in front of him.

"Tell me from the start," She said softly, "What happened?"

"I...I shouldn't tell you. I can't make this worse."

She frowned. "We can't change the future. If you had a visionー"

"This is going to be different. It's not going to happen. I'll make sure of it." His eyes, usually so full of worry and guilt, sometimes joy if he was around her, were filled with determination. "I have to leave."

"What? Are you sure?"

He nodded. "There's no other way."

Her voice began to waver and tears burned behind her eyes. "There has to be. If not, I'll come with you."

"No! You have to stay here and take care of them, especially Mirabel. She'll need someone like you to help her."

"Bruno..." Tears were finally falling down her cheeks, and she knew that Bruno wasn't changing his mind. He was going to leave.

The axe that was the future had fallen. She was going to have to live without him.

"Cass...I have to go."

"For how long?"

Bruno looked to his hands that once again found hers. "I don't know. I love you, Cassidy. I wish it could be different, but I know it can't."

She nodded. Her body was shaking with sobs. "Do you need me to help you with anything?"

"Please don't tell them anything about what I told you. And keep an eye on all of them. Take good care of the kids."

"I will. I love you more than anything, Bruno."

A squeak interrupted them, and Bruno glanced down to his feet to see a rat sitting there, the same rat he had left at her house the previous night. He picked it up and let it nuzzle into his hair, passing the rat to Cassidy moments after.

"I would say he'll take care of you, but I'm pretty sure that you can take care of yourself."

She wrapped him in one last hug, one last kiss planted on his lips. They pulled away. Cassidy blinked away her tears and he was gone.