Chapter 18

The final chapter! Thank you so much to everyone who has read, left comments, voted, and bookmarked! I'm very thankful to have this story enjoyed! 

Mirabel's hand guided a paint brush along a wall as the business of rebuilding echoed around her. She could hear laughter and joy, despite the Casita being destroyed, and she had no doubt that it would last. Their family was fixed. Abuela would try to be more understanding, Isabella was free to be herself, Luisa could relax, and Bruno was home.

Sometimes she couldn't believe it. After all of this time he was here, laughing along with them. He was a bit different, like anyone would be if exposed to severe isolation, but at least he was back. Mirabel couldn't get over the joy on her mother's features when the triplets were finally reunited.

She tried to stop being upset as to why Bruno left, but their family was improving, so hopefully something like that would never happen again. They would all have to work together, though, for it to get better.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Bruno head outside, holding his trusty bucket full of sand. She was happy that he was getting along with everyone more, and adjusting to normal life again. Her Tío deserved everything and more.

"Need a hand?"

Mirabel looked up to see a woman standing beside her, holding a variety of paints and brushes.

"Sure!"

The woman sat down and held out her hand to shake.

"I'm Cassidy Lopez."

"Mirabel Madrigal, though I'm sure you knew that."

Cassidy laughed. "Yeah. I know. You're the hero."

Mirabel felt a slight blush come on her cheeks. "I think it was a joint effort. Tío Bruno helped out a lot too."

At the mention of Bruno Cassidy seemed to stiffen, but the smile stayed on her face. "I guess so. Now, you want butterflies on this wall?"

"Yup, that's the plan."

As Cassidy began to paint, her strokes elegant and graceful, Mirabel couldn't help but wonder why she had acted the way she did at Tío Bruno's name. Did he give her a bad vision, all of those years ago? Were they enemies? Did she hate him as much as the rest of the village did? Or, at least, used to? She pushed those thoughts away, wanting to forget the horrible past that haunted them.

"Do you paint often?" She eventually asked, and Cassidy beamed.

"Yes, I'd say so. I do a few murals here and there."

That peaked Mirabel's interest. "Really? Which ones?"

"The one of your family is the most well known one I did." She said simply, and Mirabel turned to her, readjusting her glasses.

"You painted that?"

"Yup. It's probably my best work, other than Bruno's frown. Your Abuela forced me to do that."

"She did?"

Cassidy sighed. "She said that I either had him look worse than everyone else or not include him at all."

Mirabel's hand slowed as she painted. "I'm glad you included him, but maybe you could change it?"

The woman nodded. "Hopefully."

"Cassidy? Is that you?"

Julieta faced them, eyes wide with shock. Cassidy stood up and put her brush down, embracing the cook as she ran in for a hug.

"My friend, it's been forever! Where have you been?" Julieta asked, and Mirabel watched the interaction with confusion.

Cassdiy shrugged. "Here and there."