Confession

Will knew that many things had changed since 1983. Everything was fine in 1983. The boys were bullied like normal, but they found comfort when playing Dungeons and Dragons in Mike's basement for 10 hours every few weekends.

His disappearance affected everyone around him. It was only when he was saved that everyone had time to breathe. Everything seemed fine, until Will's life was further turned upsidown when he was possessed. When El helped save him, Will was forever in her debt.

Throughout the entire ordeal, Will had been unsure of something. Mike had El. Dustin and Lucas were fighting over the new girl Max, but what did Will have? Dungeons and Dragons? Will wanted something special. He watched as his friends grew up. Lucas ended up with Max. Dustin was still hopeful that he'd find someone and Mike had reunited with El.

When summer break came, everything had certainly changed. Mike found it more entertaining to makeout with El, over being with his friends. Will understood this. El, by Hopper's request, wasn't allowed out of the cabin. When Mike got himself into some trouble with El and Hopper, it resulted in El dumping his ass. Will had found a space in Mike's life when he would go back to his roots.

WILL
Mike and Lucas had been wollowing in self-pity since Max and El dumped them. Dustin was nowhere to be found and I needed to get my friends back. Dressing up in an elaborate costume, I pressed play on a DND tape, watching as Mike and Lucas jolted up from their naps, each of them confused.

"Will, can you turn down the music?" I kept a neutral face.

"Please address me by my full name." I announced.

"What?" Mike was confused.

Banging my staff onto the floor, I was angry.

"My full name!" I yelled.

"Oh, my God. Okay, Will the Wise. Can you please turn down the music?" Mike asked, rubbing his eyes.

"That is not music. That...is the sound of destiny! I have seen into the future, and I've seen that today is a new day, a day...free of girls!" I exclaimed, both Mike and Lucas looking at me as if I was insane.

"What is happening right now?" Lucas looked between me and Mike.

"Will, come on." Mike leaned back onto the couch.

"A tribe of villagers are under threat from an evil force, from the swamps of Kuzatan." I was excited.

"Will, it's so early." Mike groaned.

"Is it? Is it early, Michael? Tell that to the villagers crying for your help, the children so frightened, they cannot sleep. Are you truly going to let them perish? Or are you going to come to their rescue, and become the heroes you were always meant to be?" I was upset. Why didn't they want to relax and spend a day playing our favourite game?

"Uh...can I at least take a shower first?" Lucas asked as he took off his hat.

It had been a few hours. The campaign was going well, but neither Mike nor Lucas seemed interested.

"Maybe we should just call them." Mike spoke as he hung up the phone that had been ringing 5 minutes prior.

"We can do that?" Lucas seemed suprised.

"I think so." Mike smiled.

"Yeah, but what would we say?" Lucas asked.

"We'll say nothing! The Khuisar tribe still needs your help." I got upset again. They were desperately trying to end this campaign.

"All right, then. I'll use my torch to set fire to the chambers, sacrificing ourselves, killing the jujus, and saving the Khuisar. We all live on as heroes in the memories of the Kalamar." Mike explained.

All I wanted was a simple campaign of DND, but of course, they had to ruin it all because of their stupid ex-girlfriends.

"Victory." Lucas slighty smiled, seeming glad that this was over.

"Okay. Fine. You guys win. Congratulations." I removed my hat and robe, defeated. They got what they wanted.

"Will, I was just messing around. Hey, let's finish for real. How much longer is the campaign?" Mike's mood changed. His face dropped. I knew that he had realised how much this was hurting me.

"Just forget it, Mike." I carefully put the staff down, grabbing my bag.

"No, you want to keep playing, right? We'll just call the girls afterwards." Mike looked to Lucas.

"Y-Yeah, totally!" Lucas didn't convince me.

"I said forget it, Mike, okay? I'm going home." I announced as I made my way towards Mike's garage.

"Come on, Will. Will, come on. You can't leave. It's raining. Listen, I said I was sorry, alright? It's a cool campaign. It's really cool. We're just not in the mood right now." Mike admitted as he tried to stop me from picking up my bike.

"Yeah, Mike. That's the problem. You guys are never in the mood anymore. You're ruining our party." I was upset. Mike was ruining our friendship.

"That's not true. Really? Where's Dustin right now? See? You don't know and you don't even care. And obviously he doesn't either and I don't blame him. You're destroying everything, and for what? So you can swap spit with some stupid girl?" I could feel the tears forming in my eyes. I wish that Mike knew the real reason why I was upset.

It wasn't that we and our friends were growing up, or that he wasn't interested in an honest game of Dungeons and Dragons. It was that I had a crush on him, but he loved El.

"El's not stupid. It's not my fault you don't like girls. I'm not trying to be a jerk. Okay? But we're not kids anymore. I mean, what did you think, really? That we were never gonna get girlfriends? We were just gonna sit in my basement all day and play games for the rest of our lives?" Mike explained. He was right. I was too naieve to believe that things could go back to the way they were.

"Yeah. I guess I did. I really did. But I'm not upset about the campaign, or that we're all growing up. I'm upset at the fact that I like you, Mike, but I can't have you. I can't have you because you have Eleven. You have someone that likes you. I'm upset that I'll never be as happy as you." My heart shattered. I just told Mike the one thing I promised myself I'd never tell him.

Grabbing my bike, I quickly left the garage, riding off in the rain as Mike called my name.