Future generation

I sat on my living-room couch, a guitar pick and a shirt in my hands.

"I thought I told you to put those away?" I heard a male speak as he entered the room.

"Sorry uncle Wayne." I sighed, putting the pick and the shirt back in the wooden box that they belonged in.

"It's bad enough that he's gone. I don't want to see those things again." Uncle Wayne sighed, sitting down with a beer.

"What happened to him? No one has ever told me. Not even uncle Dustin." I looked at uncle Wayne, his eyes not on me.

"I don't know what happened to your dad. Dustin came to me with his guitar pick and gave it to me. That was all I needed to know that he was gone. Dustin was your dad's friend." Uncle Wayne explained, unable to keep the tears from spilling.

"If you really want to find out, go ask Dustin. I'm sure he's going to tell you." Uncle Wayne insisted, leaving me to get up and grab my jacket, walking out the door with the wooden box in hand.

I went to the suburb section of Hawkins. The town was desolate. Not even the poorest person wanted to step foot in our cursed town. Four of Hawkins' largest streets were split down the middle and lots of buildings and homes were destroyed as a result.

Seeing a car parked out the front, I walked up to the front door, nervous as to what I was really going to find out.

Pressing the doorbell, I took a deep breath in and out, seeing uncle Dustin open the front door.

"Lizzie. What a nice suprise! How can I help-" He noticed the wooden box and sighed, letting me in.

"Uncle Dustin. I want to know about my dad. No one will tell me. I've asked my uncle Wayne...but he said he didn't know, and that you would." I sat on his couch, watching as uncle Dustin paced.

"Look, uh, your dad...he was a complicated person. His death was a complicated thing." He was pacing more and more.

"Please, uncle Dustin. I know nothing about him." I begged him.

"Alright. Uh, your dad, he was known as the freak of Hawkins. That name is what led him to his demise." Uncle Dustin started.

"My dad, Eddie Munson, was a freak?" I asked, shocked.

"Yep. And there were some people, who didn't like him and blamed him for a series of deaths that occurred 10 years ago." He handed me a newspaper from March 27th, 1986.

"March 27th, 1986. Eddie Munson, Hawkins High killer, presumed dead after massive Hawkins explosion? Is that title true? Did he actually kill people?" I asked, concerned as I looked down at the paper. If he did, maybe I would grow up to be like him.

"No. He was misunderstood. The first death, Chrissy Cunningham, she was having...nightmares and other problems. To escape these problems, she went to your dad for "help". Later that day, she went to his house and the next thing anyone knows, he runs out of his house screaming and Chrissy is dead. Because of his connections with Dungeons and Dragons, people thought that he used his satanic powers to kill her, which wasn't true at all." Uncle Dustin sighed.

"What's the Hellfire club? A few of my friends were talking about it today." I asked, handing uncle Dustin the shirt.

"It was the Dungeons and Dragons club that your dad, my friend, was the leader of. He called himself the Dungeon Master. He wore this shirt every day, even the day he died." Uncle Dustin cried a little bit.

"You gave this to my uncle Wayne. Didn't you?" I asked.

"Yeah. I gave him the shirt and the pick. Your dad loved playing the guitar. He had a special guitar that he used on the day he died, to put on the most heavy metal concert I have ever witnessed." Uncle Dustin smiled.

"How did he die?" I asked, getting to the hard hitting question.

"10 years ago, Hawkins faced a threat that was supernatural. There were only 15 of us who understood the threat, and only 1 of us who could defeat this threat. As part of our plan to kill the threat, your dad and I were tasked with distracting some "guards" that worked with the threat. To distract them, he put on a concert and after that...we both attempted to escape and go somewhere safe...but, uh, at the last second, he decided not ot be a coward and to fight. He prevented me from helping him and as a result, he sacrificed himself in order to protect and save Hawkins. Your dad was a true hero." Uncle Dustin explained, gripping your dad's t-shirt as if it was slipping away.

"Thank you...for telling me." I smiled, giving uncle Dustin a hug.