Seeing Max

ELEVEN
When I found out where Max was, it broke my heart. I let her suffer, because I wasn't strong enough. Yes, Vecna was gone, but he wouldn't be gone for long. Hawkins was also suffering because I wasn't strong enough.

Wearing a jumper to conceal my identity, Nancy drove Mike and I to the hosptial. Lucas, Dustin and Will had already gone there to see her, but Mike and I wanted to catch up with his mother before we came. Walking into Max's private hospital room, Lucas wrapped Mike and I in a hug, clearly distraught.

"Oh my god. We've been calling you guys like crazy." Lucas exhaled, happy to see us.

"I know. We came as soon as we heard. I'm sorry." Mike sighed, seeing Max's body hooked up to the monitors.

"Do they know...when she will wake?" I asked, stepping closer to her. Lucas followed me, sighing.

"No. They say she might not. Her heart stopped. For over a minute. She died. I...I mean, clinically, but...then she came back. The doctors don't know how. They say it's a miracle." Lucas explained, letting me sit on the bed, being careful of her body.

"I'm here, Max." I whispered, holding her hand.

"Can I?" I asked, turning to Lucas. He knew what I was going to try and do, so he smiled.

"Yeah." He sat next to me, on the opposite side of the bed, holding Max's other hand.

Closing my eyes, I could tell that the LED lights were flickering, signalling that I was entering Max's mind. Thinking of her, I hoped that I'd either be able to find her or something that could help.

Opening my eyes, I saw the void. My eyes widened when I couldn't see her anywhere.

"Max?" I asked, hoping that I'd see her soon. Taking a few steps forward, I became worried when she wasn't appearing.

"Max?" I asked again, my heart racing faster.

"El? What do you see?" I could hear Lucas' voice as I looked around the darkness.

"I don't see anything. I can't find her..." I was starting to panic.

"Max!" I yelled, trying my best to muster up a faster walking speed, hoping that if I ran around, maybe I'd spot her.

Unlike other victims, Max's body wasn't killed by Vecna, even though her soul had been taken by him. He wasn't able to kill her before we saved her.

"Max!"I screamed louder.

"El! Can you see her?" He asked, sounding terrified.

Looking around, I spotted a figure in the distance.

"Max!" I smiled, shocked. I could recognise her red hair anywhere.

"I see her..." I spoke, walking closer and closer to the figure I assumed was Max. Reaching her body, I was confused. She was still, completely frozen.

Turning around to face her, her eyes were open. She was staring off into the distance.

"Max?" I put my hand on her shoulder, a little confused.

"Is she okay?" I stood close to Max, unsure of how she was.

"She's...okay. Her eyes are open and she is completely still. She isn't moving." I explained.

"Max? Can you hear me?" I asked, staring into her eyes. It would seem like we were in a staring contest.

"Max?" I started to worry when poking her didn't even cause her to move a muscle. It was like she was an ice-sculpture. Vecna took her soul and left nothing but the shell of Max Mayfield.

Getting out of the void, I took a few deep breaths in and out, Mike handing me a tissue so I could wipe the blood from my nose.

"He killed her..." Lucas angrily stood up, facing the window.

"Lucas, Vecna didn't kill her. She's still alive. Comatose, but still alive." Mike corrected Lucas, who was still angry.

"He did kill her Mike. He may not have killed her physical body, but he killed her soul. He took her soul and left nothing but a shell of the Max Mayfield we know and love! Even if she does wake up, she won't be the same." Lucas started to cry, Dustin and Will walking over to comfort him.

"I'm sorry Lucas." Mike hugged his friend.

"I'm sorry too, Lucas." I hugged Lucas, who didn't hesitate to hug me back.

"It's not your fault El. You tried to save her." Lucas smiled slightly.

I smiled. Lucas hadn't really smiled since Max lost her soul. He was devistated that the one thing that would've possibly saved her had been destroyed.