Chapter 4

Riko kicked a rock down a street as she walked to work one early morning. The rock abruptly stopped when it clanked against a can. The Chief looked up and blinked in surprise. There was a small child sitting on the curb with a can holding two measly coins. He was covered head to toe in dirt and was wearing old tattered clothes. He didn't appear to notice her as she walked up to him. She could hardly believe there were still orphans around after everything her family had done to provide for them.

"Hey kid." The boy cautiously looked up at her. "What are you doing out here?"

The boy shrugged. "Just trying to survive."

"Where are your parents?"

"Tch, I don't know."

Riko blinked. The boy didn't seem to care that he was homeless. She sighed and grabbed him by his upper arm.

"Hey, where are you taking me? I didn't do anything wrong!"

Riko chuckled. He apparently recognized her uniform at least. "I'm taking you to somewhere that's safe."

She smiled as the building formerly known as the Sato Mansion came into view. That was when the boy began pulling away from her.

"I don't wanna be adopted!"

Riko paused and knelt down to his level. "Do you actually know who I am? Or am I just another officer to you?"

The boy rose a brow, unsure of how to answer her. He just thought she was another cop. She chuckled. "I'm the Chief-of-Police. I help people. And I was once an orphan too. You may not want to be adopted now, but when and if you do get adopted, you'll realize it's one of the most amazing things in the world. But if you decide you don't want to be adopted, you won't be forced. They will simply take care of you here. How does that sound?"

The boy, showing a shocked expression, simply nodded his head and allowed her to show him to the home.

"Get out!"

Riko sighed ruggedly and drudged down the street. She really made Karina mad earlier. She couldn't even recall how the fight started. Either way, Karina kicked her out for the time being, which was incredibly harsh considering that the worse punishment she'd gotten so far was a night on the couch.  

Asami greeted her oldest child at the front door by leaning on the doorframe as she walked up the stairs. "What happened?"

Riko shrugged and walked past her. "Riko, c'mon. It can't be that bad." Asami paused when she saw the bag on her daughter's back. "Okay, maybe not."

Riko sighed heavily and dropped onto the couch. "Can I just please stay here for the night?"

Asami blinked. "Of course, dear! You don't even have to ask."