Chapter 5

Riko couldn't believe it. There was absolutely no way this had happened, especially on her watch. She grit her teeth together in a growl. The assailant glanced back at her, but his mask covered everything but his eyes. His eyes were a rich blue color, staring back at her. Riko felt her energy leave her as she ran past him to her mother's side.  

"Mom?"

Olivia looked down to her son. "Yes dear?"

"When can I start firebending?"

Olivia and Karina both looked at each other in shock. Waterbending was taking much long than earth and air.

Olivia hesitantly looked back at him. "Sweetie, why are you asking that? You're still learning waterbending."

Tadashi nodded in acknowledgement. "Well Dad's here."

Both women jumped up from their seats on the ferry and looked across the harbor. Within two seconds, Olivia was fuming. She had to bite her lip to keep from cursing in front of her son. "What is he doing here?"

"I don't know, hun. Just take Tadashi home and I'll deal with him."

"No, I want to know why he's here! He's obviously waiting for us."

They waited until the ferry touched down at the port and stepped off. The man walked up to them happily. "Oh Tadashi, how you've grown!" He had slick black hair and sideburns that led to the stubble on his jawline. He stood much taller than any of them.

Tadashi looked up to his mother to gauge what to do. His mother simply held a hand in front of the boy, shielding him. Hiro, the armadillo-cub, stepped up beside his Avatar to defend him. Tadashi frowned. If Hiro didn't like his father, what did that mean?

"Kenji, stay away." Olivia demanded.

The man halted where he stood. "C'mon Olivia, you and I both know that I still have rights to my son."

"Well you sure haven't been using it for the past ten years." Olivia replied, crossing her arms.

Tadashi nervously tiptoed to stand next to his grandmother while his parents argued. Karina noticed and patted him on the shoulder before speaking up. "Olivia, I'm going to take Tadashi back to my place so you two can sort this out on your own."

Kenji went rigid. He saw the unspoken message she was saying. 'If you want to get to my grandson, you'll have to go through me.' He really didn't want a fight, especially with a master waterbender.

Karina then grabbed Tadashi's hand and they walked back to their apartment. Olivia and Kenji stood glaring at each other on the docks. "Get to the point, Kenji. I know you don't really want to see your son, seeing as you didn't want him in the first place." She demanded, yet whispered the last part to herself.