Chapter 10

The first thing Riko heard was a machine beeping steadily and distant sobbing in the background. "Who's gonna tell her when she wakes up?" "She might already have figured that out..."

Her breathing picked up, but she forced herself to keep her eyes close. She wanted it all to be a dream. "I think she's awake." She heard her brother state nearby.

Nami looked over and saw a pained expression on her face. She carefully walked over to her and grabbed her hand. "Riko? Can you hear me?" Riko decided to finally face reality and tried to sit up, but pain erupted throughout her body. She groaned loudly. Nami gasped and yelled at Kohaku to get help. "Riko, you're okay. You're in the hospital! Just stay calm."

Riko finally opened her eyes, but her vision was blurry. She could faintly see her sister leaning over her. She looked down and saw the outline of an arm sling. She squeezed her eyes shut and grit her teeth. "Please tell me it was all a dream..."

Nami frowned and hung her head. No. No! Korra couldn't be dead! Riko suddenly sat straight up, ignoring all of the pain. "No!" She ripped the IV out of her arm and threw her legs over the side of the bed to stand up. Nami was yelling at her the whole time to lay back down. "It can't be real!" Riko yelled back, grasping her head. She tried to stand up, but her injured leg gave out from under her. Luckily someone caught her.

"Sweetie you need to get back in bed."

Riko recognized that voice. Flashes of her bloodied wife trying to heal her appeared in her head. Tears suddenly slid down her cheeks. "No," she cried. She slumped to the ground and Karina followed her. "She can't be gone."

Karina said no more and simply held her close.

"He may have a slight concussion but it's nothing serious. He should be fine, Chief Sato." The doctor inspecting the Avatar deducted.

Riko sighed in relief. "That's good to hear. What about the others?"

"A nurse looked them over and neither of them sustained any injuries."

"Good. That's one less thing I don't have to worry about. Thanks doc."

"My pleasure, Chief. You can go see them now."

Riko rushed into the room and saw Tadashi sitting upright on the bed and the siblings laying on the couch. She pinched the bridge of her nose before approaching them. "How do you all feel?"

The kids perked up at the sound of her voice. "We're all fine, Grandma. The guy wasn't that good of a fighter."

Abby rose a brow at this statement. "Tadashi, what're you talking about? He knocked out the White Lotus guard. We're only safe because of you."

Riko eyed her grandson. The boy was acting like this wasn't a big deal. Well, he had dealt with another attack just the week before. Maybe it was already a normal thing to him. Riko grit her teeth. No, this was not happening to Tadashi. Korra went through enough hell for the next 100 Avatars in line.