Chapter 19

It quickly became too much for Asami's body to fight. The city's best doctors had all tried to diagnose the woman, even Karina, but no one could figure why the woman was so ill. They all had left antibiotics and care instructions, but it never worked. Karina spent much time using waterbending to try to heal her old body, but to no avail.

Nami woke up like every morning and prepared a breakfast for her mother. She carried the tray of food and medications upstairs and knocked on the door. "Mom, I have breakfast."

The waterbender carefully walked into the room and set the tray on the bedside table. Asami hadn't moved.

"Mom?"

Nami noticed her mother's skin looked paler, if possible, and she still hadn't made a noise. Her heart sunk. "Mom!"

She shoved the blankets away and put her ear to her mother's chest. Tears fell instantly and Nami fought to control her emotions. 

Nami and Hikara raced to the orphanage. The sounds of destruction increased as they ran through the city. Nami couldn't voice her concerns for her brother's safety. They just had to get there in time. 

Fire scorched the city street. Kohaku and the lackey were fighting hand-to-hand, trying to obtain the upperground. Both of their crews continued to fight to gain control of the mansion.

"This is futile, Sato. Give up and run away like your sisters." The man said with a crazy smirk on his face.

Kohaku grunted as he blocked a punch. "No way, man. I have kids counting on me."

The lackey threw a punch, but Kohaku caught it. He made a punch in return, which was also caught. The two stood, grabbing each other's hands, trying to overpower the other. One thing Kohaku hadn't counted on was his stamina weakening with age. He huffed as he was quickly losing control.

The man smirked and was able to twist Kohaku's arms upside down. Kohaku yelled out as his strength was dwindling and his arms twisted more. The man was going to break his arms at this rate.

"What was it that you said earlier? You've fought worse opponents than me? Heh, maybe so, but you were younger then. Things are different this time." The man exclaimed.

Kohaku fought to keep his arms up. If even one of his arms were injured, this battle would quickly go downhill.

Light steps were approaching, but no one could hear them with all of the fighting happening.

"Get away from my brother!"

The lackey looked up and instantly let go of Kohaku. He sighed in relief and looked up. His opponent was sent skidding down the road by a fierce water whip. He smiled thankfully and stood up straight.

"You couldn't have better timing."

Nami and Hikari scanned the area. Hikari ran to help the workers and Nami approached her brother.

"You're lucky we got here before he broke your arms." Nami replied, crossing her arms.

The lackey groaned in the pile of rubble before carefully standing on his feet. He groaned as he stretched his arms. "Looks like one of your sisters has guts. But I didn't think the Chief of Police was this much of a coward."

The siblings scowled and prepared themselves.

"Where is Riko?" Kohaku whispered, forming fireballs.

Nami sighed as she pulled the water back to her hands. "You know her, she's out saving the world."